1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you do as a child that would be totally unacceptable nowadays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

There was a list in the school rules of all the places that were out of bounds. We went to them all bar one: couldn't find out where it was, and it didn't seem wise to ask a teacher!

kibosh and Didactylos4 like this.
  2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

My experiments involved the use of sealed copper tubing.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

may have been unique to the school that I went to - but we had a game involving throwing pocket knives and having your feet spread.

peggylu likes this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have a vague recollection of people doing that but not at school, I think.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We had a set of wide steps at my secondary school, along the edge of the playground. You went up to the first one then down about six to the tarmac at the bottom. Everyone played a game of days of the week where a person standing at the bottom would call out days and you had to jump to the right step. Jumping from the top, over the top step and down to the lower ones meant you could easily catch your foot on the top step and go flying right down to the bottom. From time to time the game was banned, when someone got injured, but the ban was never enforced with much enthusiasm. When I think that some children are not even allowed to play tig now I feel really sad for them.

6. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

My granny used to leave my brother and me on the Floating Bridge over the Itchen while she did her shopping in Woolston. A seven and six year old, heavy machinery, cars and fast flowing water. We loved it!

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No, I played that too (though usually in my or friends' garden, not at school!)

peggylu likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's anfo, isn't it? Did you grow up over here?

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And when the knife stuck between your feet you moved one foot to the knife. First to call 'Chicken' lost.

peggylu likes this.
  10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I certainly remember that being played by the local lads.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Exactly.

Of course if you didn't like your 'friend'...:D

racroesus likes this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Funny that!! I cannot remember a single case of a foot being 'knifed'. There was plenty of shouting when the knife 'slipped out of my hand, Honest!!' but I don't remember a direct hit.

les25paul, wanet and kibosh like this.
  13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Yes, that was one version.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I had some considerable interest in such things from quite an early age but, at about the time I discovered girls, I suddenly realised that the singed hair and no eyebrows look wasn't quite what these strange creatures liked.

One type of banging was in fact precluding access to another form

15. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But if you used sealed copper tubes, and got close enough to burn your eyebrows, i am surprised that you didn't end up with scars as well.

16. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Yes. like this. It was more than an eye too,

17. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

A favourite game in Scouts, it was called "splits". If you managed to throw your knife between your opponents legs and it stuck in the ground you could stand with your legs together. The loser was the one who couldn't spread their legs any wider.

But being Scouts one of our number thought the game could "spiced up" using an axe instead. Even our generally laid back Scout Leader thought it was step too far.

Another Scout "game" was to stake someone out by banging tent pegs into the ground and then tieing the person to these pegs with rope (using proper Scout knots of course). The "poor victim" would then have water poured over them or jam smeared on thier face. Quite similar to the waterboarding technique later adopted by the CIA :p

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Except the CIA didn't give badges for it?

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm glad that's a question :)

20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

More by good luck than management. (as with many experiments of the time)
    In those days my ability to seal tubes was frankly not quite up to the job