1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you do as a child that would be totally unacceptable nowadays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Making gunpowder (I was crafty enough to buy the ingredients from three separate chemist shops) and blowing up a derelict outside privy. I found the formula in my great uncle's scientific encyclopaedia. There was also a page on nitroglycerin but the old boy got wise to my activities and the book disappeared before I could try that one.

We made 'soap box' trolleys. Pretending to be a knight astride his charger, I witlessly drove mine through a bus queue, scooping up an old lady on the way. Fortunately I was wearing my medieval helmet (big brycreem tin with a plume of dried grasses) because she clouted me round the head with her rolled up umbrella.

One of the workers at a firm next to my primary school was convicted (and hanged) for murdering two children. Before he was caught we used to play football with him during the lunch break. This was in the 'safe' 1950s.

Captain Flint in Swallows & Amazons had a brass signal cannon. I recently bought one from a marine antiques dealer. I realise that this thread is about daft things we did before we grew up. I obviously didn't.

sabrinakat, lanokia, nomad and 2 others like this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

I had a proper dinnerbreak at school @TCSC47 was 1hr and ten minutes then! I also had a proper childhood without getting stressed about doing 14 Gcses....

strawbs and rachelpaula008 like this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

When I was young such knowledge was commonplace. but you have to know which weedkiller to use.

vannie and magic surf bus like this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I suspect that you wouldn't, but that those that do cause everyone to panic about it.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

We used to play by and in the river. I remember after we came home soaking wet one day, my grandad came down the next day to look at where we were playing, banned us from a particularly fast flowing stretch we hadn't really been in anyway and otherwise let us carry on as usual.

The trust was incredible now I think about it.

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Gave my sister a hair cut- which included the loss of an ear lobe.

les25paul, rachelpaula008 and lanokia like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

:eek:

slingshotsally and cuteinpuce like this.
  8. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Back in the 1960s I was the headmasters monitor at primary school. He used to send me into town to the bank to deposit money and cheques and to the post box to post letters.
    One xmas his secretary accompanied me in school time into town to buy gifts for all the teachers which included a packet of cigarettes for one teacher!
    At home I remember having a walk around a friend's house when they had gone out and left the door unlocked, and stealing a little toy :rolleyes:

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I used my Mum's concave bathroom mirror as a Junior Mad Scientist's Solar Powered Death Ray (TM, Patent Applied For) to burn up any old Airfix kits that I'd grown weary of. A subtle twist on the magnifying glass I thought. I suppose a lot of this could be attributed to the glue fumes I must have inhaled whilst constructing the kits in the first place.

Soap box go karts, roller skates with wood nailed to them - all grist to the childhood mill, as was playing on building sites in the freshly dug footings because they were like wartime trenches. A couple of friends had a very near miss when they built a den in the spoil tip of a building site and a dumper truck full of soil backed up and nearly buried it with them still inside. They probably would have been missing to this day had that happened.

Needless to say we played endlessly with toy guns, and despite it all I've managed to get to 57 without shooting anyone.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    racroesus likes this.
  10. slingshotsally

All things considered- losing an eye would have been much worse.

11. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I think a lot of these things were actually unacceptable back then as well!

kibosh, InkyP and slingshotsally like this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Only if you were caught!! ;)

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And did your parents accept that line of reasoning too? :D o_O

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On that subject, does anybody know of anyone who actually had their eye put out with any object that their parents constantly warned them about? Just idle curiosity.

15. slingshotsally

16. slingshotsally

I had a beating I can still feel to this day.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Climb Trees

Against Health and Safety these days

Go into farmers barns and chuck the hay around

Ditto

Pull the straw bales out of the baler without losing your fingers

Ditto

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I leaned more towards weedkiller (sodium chlorate) and sugar or fertiliser (ammonium nitrate) and diesel mixes.

A tiny drop of diesel (which ignites under compression) in the back of an air gun pellet would beef it up considerably, but would ruin the air gun seals.

les25paul likes this.
  19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

@peakster early years advisors recommend letting children climb trees in Nursery.

I did the rearranging hay in haystacks and barns thing as a teenager. We also took the carefully stacked logs in the forest and built log cabins.

kibosh likes this.
  20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We used to blow glue bubbles with UHU at school, and put them to dry on the radiator.

I played on the building site next to my house for most of my childhood. We used to bring stuff home too, such as blocks of wood and wall ties. We were forbidden to play on the building site but my mum must have known where we got them. Once an older, but still primary school, boy found one of the diggers unlocked, started it up and drove it into a deep trench. We had an underground den dug into the side of one of those piles of earth they always had on building sites.