1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you do as a child that would be totally unacceptable nowadays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Nov 23, 2016.

1. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I remember getting a red rover for the first time at the advanced age of 11. I went to London Zoo with 2 friends of the same age.We were told to be home before dark. Adults dudn`t seem worried and neither were we. I also remember summer holidays when I left the house at 9am to meet friends with my mum telling me to be home at 6 for dinner or I would go hungry. We would scrounge sanwiches and squash at lunchtime from various parents in turn.

sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

In the Summer me, my brother and the four kids next door would pack jam butties and bottles of water (empty pop bottles filled with tap) and we would be gone until night time (7 or 8 O' Clock) We were all Primary aged.
    We used to ride horses bare back. (Yes I know - I was young)
    We used to make rope swings by sending one of the boys up a tree with a rope - the swings were always over deep ravines (to my child self)
    We used to hang each other up by the feet with rope
    We would swim whenever we could
    None of us died.
    A group of us once went to our teacher's house for tea when we were rehearsing for the school production (a massive undertaking - It happened every year and was always written by two of our teachers. We started working on it every September and it took place every December, during November and December that was all we did at school. It was brilliant)
    Different times.

Dragonlady30 and emerald52 like this.
  3. inky

inky Lead commenter

We loved playing cops and robbers with my grandfather's old revolver. We also loved playing cowboys and indians, using said revolver and homemade bows and arrows. The latter were my speciality.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Most kids like sugary things - I was particularly taken with a 50:50 mix of sugar and weedkiller, which when prepared creatively and ignited correctly could rival the pyrotechnics in Thunderbirds.

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Just Wow! If only i'd known that!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ohhhh yes!
    And the absolutely envy when a friend's older brother got a 'real' skateboard.

Parents would be mortified today by the packed lunches we took to school, probably contacted by the school about nutrition as well.
    Mother's Pride (well supermarket own cheapy version) white pappy bread, with jam sandwiches. The jam was home made mind you. Squash to drink. A packet of crisps and a chocolate biscuit (club, trio, penguin type thing)

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Bought my two a pen knife each - just like Dad used to have! We also practised using them properly in the woods - and yes - random stick sharpening was part of it:)

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

And we've also practiced setting twigs alight with a magnifying glass :oops: - but with a safety glass of water to hand.

les25paul likes this.
  9. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

Lovely thread. I remember that feeling of freedom and unselfconsciousness I had as a kid. All lost now:(

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Primary school would be a modern day H&S shock horror story - but it was heaven to us. Climbing trees by the lochside to play bomber crews, playing in the burns to dam them and catch baggy minnows, playing dare on the loch beach by dashing in and out of the big waves as the twice-daily paddle steamer went by, scary jump games from an outbuilding and sneaking off to the sweet shop about 1/4 mile away.

11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Back in the 60s when we were kids we would regularly hitchhike. People would stop and pick us up too!

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

At 10 or 11 I used to stay with my aunt near Sheffield in the summer. I was put on a train from there to Kings Cross and used to make my own way home across London to Plumstead.
    You'd probably be picked up by Social Services at Chesterfield these days.

colpee likes this.
  13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I think 'mortified' today would be the proliferation of air rifles and air pistols. I was never allowed one, but there were generally enough to go round for some bird shooting in the woods. I guess we would have a SWAT team after us nowadays:(

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Big sis and I used to go to our auntie's house in Liverpool. It was a journey of 2 busses but we used to take just one, use the second bus fare to buy sweets and walk the rest of the way. We were both in primary school.

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just the usual. Roaming round unsupervised. I grew up on a farm and did have a close encounter with a bull but that could happen today, I expect.

Basically out and about. But I let my daughters do just the same and my grandson is allowed to play out. He is 8. I am sure my granddaughter will be treated similarly. She is now 5. I didn't worry and my daughter doesn't either. You have to just let them do their thing.

Building sites were great though. I was exploring one in Prestatyn the day of the first moon landing in 1969.

16. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

I'm enjoying this thread... my group of friends and I would take a picnic ( box of Ritz crackers and bottles of pop) and go off for the whole day on our bikes to what we called the Slag Heaps. We would ride up, over, round and down them all day long and then only make our way back home when it got dark.
    We also had a rope which hung from the railway bridge, which we would swing on, in between the trains coming along the track!
    I managed to climb to the top of a huge tree in my friend's garden, but then couldn't get down and the fire brigade had to be summoned. ( I now sound like the poem Albert and the Lion...)
    We were often sent out of primary school to get stuff from the shops for the teachers...such freedom! ( this was in the 60's) .
    I remember being sent to deliver a message to another local primary school, which meant crossing two main roads.
    those were the days!
    Sorrim x

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Chemistry class and rocket fuel I think.

18. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

When I was a child my parents had an old beat up Ford Feista. I remember them taking me and my friends out for my birthday and we managed to fit 4 on the back seat with me and my friend in the boot with the parcel shelf off, facing outwards so we could wave to the traffic behind. The idea fills me with horror now!

1 person likes this.
  19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Posh!
    As boys we had built in fire extinguishers :D

les25paul, nomad, racroesus and 2 others like this.
  20. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Putting pennies on railway lines to get flattened.
    Loading a big old hollow key with gunpowder, insert a nail, attach a loop of string and smack it into a wall. Not as dangerous as putting a few bangers in a glass milk bottle !!
    A neighbour had a mini cannon that could fire ball bearings through 6 tin cans who liked to challenge people to get out of his prison before choking to death on the smoking corrugated cardboard he poked in.
    Of course we all liked smashing up asbestos sheets and 'eating' Bostik ( at junior school ).

nomad, magic surf bus and colpee like this.