1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you do as a child that would be totally unacceptable nowadays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

We used to hang around an unmanned railway station and put pennies on the rail, watch them being squashed by passing trains then retrieve them. Sometimes we used to lie down on the track, ear to the metal to hear if a distant train was coming by the noise from the rail.

2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

All under the age of 7 or 8 (the age when we moved house) many have already been mentioned.

Walking alone to nursery, and then Primary.

Playing on a building site, and also a derelict ''big house'' where we climbed up a virtually non-existent staircase to throw slates off the roof (No, I don't know why either) and subsequently chased off by the local bobby.

Travelling by bus into town (4miles) to the muni baths to teach myself to swim. Also two bus rides to see my Nan.

Buying my own lunch from the shops and returning home to eat it alone (key on string round neck)

Climbing huge trees, fishing for minnows, sharpening sticks etc

Being taken prisoner by some ''big boys'' but let go after tears ensued

(I could go on.......but I was never taken with playing with matches/fire. That was more my younger brother's forté)

JosieWhitehead, TCSC47, nomad and 5 others like this.
  3. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

We used to play in the woods until around 11pm in the summer months and walk home about 2 miles. We were about 10-11 years of age. These days we'd be all over the news by 8pm.

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We'd stay out overnight at that age.

Usually in the police cells.

TCSC47, cissy3, les25paul and 5 others like this.
  5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've fixed it for you ;)

TCSC47 and cissy3 like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Spending whole days in the fields near the house, building dens and climbing trees, walking along the railway line that we dreamed led to fantastical places of Wonder....

... but really led to Birkenhead.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Close but no gold ring
    Mind you I have often wondered about Birkenhead

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wonder no more!

In the 1980s it made Liverpool look good!

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Ah yes!

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm not sure I did anything I'd be mortified if a child in my charge did. I certainly did lots of stuff that the over-supervised children of today don't get to.

11. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I remember when i was about 11 or 12, buying a red bus rover, does anyone else remember them? It was a 25p ticket that let you on as many red buses as you wanted just for one day. I used to get the bus into central London and visit the museums alone, for hours and hours.

My daughter panics if her 12 year old son is longer than half an hour at the local playing fields.

TCSC47, colpee, cissy3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Wandering in the woods, playing around train tracks, going out all day, going into new houses and 'playing', dare contests with increasingly more dangerous forfeits and roller-skating down massive hills! America in the 1970s, plus junk food galore and Mom working until 5 (latch-keys kids at 9 & 10)....:)

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was going to mention that, especially as everything was on concrete, knee and elbow grazes were a permanent feature.

I think it's mainly in certain sections of society and places that the horror at many antics on this thread exist. My sons both took full advantage of wandering around the surrounds of the village where we live. By the time they were about 11 or 12 in the summer holidays they'd go out in the morning and come back at dinner time with maybe a snack/drink break through the day. Often we'd get or make a phone call "Have you seen child X?", "Yes we saw a group of them 2 hours ago and fed them".

Since they got older we heard tales of diving around hay stacks and barns, making tree houses and swimming in the river amongst other antics.

JosieWhitehead, TCSC47 and wanet like this.
  14. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Hello, @cissy3 - I've missed you xxx

cissy3 and lanokia like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agreed! Seconded

16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Yep
    A license to explore the distant exotic places like Edgeware and Romford.

The Green and Golden rovers allowed even more extensive travel but were more expensive

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  17. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Making rafts and boats to sail at the nearby gravel pits, swimming in the gravel pits and the nearby river.

18. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Every boy (and perhaps a few girls) had a pocket knife. Not a Rambo killing dagger or a switchblade just a simple folding blade and maybe a few gadgets. My mate had a genuine Swiss Army knife his Dad had brought back from Europe, the rest of us were green with envy.

No one stabbed anyone with a knife and they were mainly used for sharpening sticks (for no real reason).

Not only unacceptable today but illegal.

JosieWhitehead, TCSC47, wanet and 2 others like this.
  19. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

In the 70s we were just 'pushed' outdoors. When we lived in a village we made mud pies and went for long walks. One walk involved a 'treacherous' walk on a branch above a stream. We (sisters) were once stopped by a policeman on a motorbike for straying onto a (NOT) main road and exploring a bigger stream under a bridge. Don't know what he was doing there.

When we moved to a town we rode bikes without helmets, as you did. We made makeshift skateboards using a roller skate and hard back book, on a road with a steep hill.

When I got older (14/15) I'd get served and drink in a pub, which involved being chatted up by much older men. My sister would order the drinks.... We'd then walk home to our estate, which meant walking across a golf course.

Lordy!!

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We used to be allowed to go off into the woods near school too. We used to catch newts and keep them in tanks in the entrance hall.

At Hallowe'en in Year 6 we had to bring a turnip (pumpkins were unknown then) and a kitchen knife to school to make a jack-a-lantern.

JosieWhitehead, cissy3 and les25paul like this.