1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you do as a child that would be totally unacceptable nowadays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Nov 23, 2016.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What did I do as a child that would be totally unacceptable nowadays?

Running around in the garden in thunderstorms, without any clothes on.

I don't think the neighbours would be too keen if I did it now.

kibosh and sabrinakat like this.
  2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There were fewer kids in the 1930s and fewer cars too. Was it some sort of sport that those who could afford cars, i.e. the very wealthy, engaged in to achieve more child deaths on the roads than we now have? Are the wealthy genetically pre-programmed to be reckless?

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Initially there was no Highway code, so drivers just did their own thing. There were no signs at junctions, no traffic lights, no designated side of the road to drive on, no rules on whether a pedestrian of motorist had priority, no speed limits and lack of experience over braking distances. Added to that, there will have been drivers who were the prototypes for Toad of Toad Hall on the roads.

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

nn

kibosh likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We often used to work (unpaid) for the local farmer lugging bales about and taking the bales off the machine that made them.

That would be classed as child abuse now probably but at the time was good fun.

I wouldn't swap my childhood for that of many modern kids.

kibosh, grumpydogwoman and sabrinakat like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

@kibosh was a middle class kid who was very good at getting others in trouble.

kibosh likes this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

As a child I had a bird's egg collection. One egg of about forty different species.
    Totally unacceptable today.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So did a friend of mine - he used to get them by taking them from nests.

This is still done by the way.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

before cars children were killed all the time by horse and carts..

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There were lots of horses and carts in my village - we used to see them all the time.

You had to careful about flying pigs too.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Its the old r-K spectrum, the fewer children a population is producing, the better care it takes of each individual. In the days of huge families and a higher death rate, the population was still replacing itself, despite accident and illnesses amongst the young. These days no way could we sustain the percentage losses in the UK 100 or 200 years ago.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:D
    Depends on your definition of middle class: my family were the educated poor. Some of my friends didn't have the sense to stop while the going was good. They really didn't need any help with getting into trouble.

When I was younger, I persuaded pals that it would be a bad idea to go blabbing. I was very good at convincing people that my idea was in fact theirs. Nobody blabbed.

racroesus likes this.