1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did you do as a child that would be totally unacceptable nowadays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Nov 23, 2016.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Rummaging through utube, I came across some pictures of scrapped aircraft. (Whatever turns you on).

It reminded me of when I was 8 years old and we used to crawl under the fence of a nearby aerodrome, Cartieville, (military and civilian) and play in the scrap yard at the end of the runway. The scrapped aircraft weren't quite as exotic as the ones show in the Utube, but were very exciting and great fun to play in!

I would be mortified if a child of mine did something like that! Have others here done anything they would be mortified over, if a child under their responsibility did something like they did?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

No. More mortified that they seem to be denied the chance.

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

But looking back there were many hazards that could have led to serious injuries. And I was only 8 yrs old.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Lots and lots of things
    Fortunately it is usually only a passing case of hypocrisy though :oops:

colpee, cissy3 and TCSC47 like this.
  5. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Renacting the battle of Agincourt with home made bows and arrows. I nearly lost an eye (which was another battle).

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

On one occasion, a F86 Sabre jet tested its engines at very loud volume only 50 to 100m away, with its exhaust pointing at us. I remember my chest vibrating with the noise.

I'm still surprised nobody saw us.

rachelpaula008 and mathsmutt like this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Playing in the new houses being built by running across the floor rafters, cycling miles on my own when about 10, walking on the frozen river and walking 3 miles to primary school.

8. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

We had a wide-ranging collection of birds eggs.

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I learnt a lot about explosives.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I think I ought to say, that my "likes" are liking the contribution to the discussion rather than the actual activity!

rachelpaula008, mathsmutt and kibosh like this.
  11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yes.

Well maybe not mortified, but I'd be jolly well hypocritically outraged.

Edit: I was a very bad kid. I was very lucky to not get caught.

colpee, mathsmutt and cissy3 like this.
  12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I got caught.

Many times.

colpee, rachelpaula008 and kibosh like this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I discovered the joys of recreational combustion around the age of 8 and used to buy matches, which was about the same age that I was allowed to wander around the village as I pleased.

I played on Wicksteed playground equipment, which would cause H&S outrage if it was revived today.

[​IMG]

14. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The problem is that you can't avoid danger, and you need to learn about it. Don't remember many accidents. But 2 do stick out. someone shot 2 of their fingers of passing a shotgun through a hedge, but he was with adults. and remember a girl that I knew all of my school life throwing a dart badly, went into the socket of someone that she fancied, luckily missed the eyeball and did little damage.

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

One of the joys of being a grandparent is that when you hear your children being "mortified" with their kids, you can raise a knowing eyebrow and they (usually at least) have the grace to look slightly embarrassed.

Especially if they know you have photographic evidence :D

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm admitting nothing.

17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Many years ago when I was in Y5 at primary a group of 5 of us were sent to the local woods to collect some bark and branches for a project.

No adult supervision, no risk assessment, nothing at all.

Can you imagine what would happen today if a teacher sent a group of 5 children out of school unaccompanied?

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

With a schoolfriend, walked to the station (1.5 miles), took a train to London (40 minutes), went to the cinema (no, it wasn't in Soho:D), took the train home... We were 12 or 13....

19. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I used to cycle down to the end of the runway, near 60 squadron, at RAF Wildenrath and watch the Phantoms (19 and 92 Squadron) come and go.

[​IMG]

20. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

We disappeared on our bikes (no helmets) in the morning and our parents didn't expect to see us again until teatime. Primary school age.

My brother and I used to climb this massive chestnut that had a really long bough that stretched over the railway line. We would crawl along the bough and pelt oncoming trains with conkers. How irresponsible and dangerous is that? If my mother had any inkling, she'd have flattened us.