1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did the EU ever do for you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eljefeb90, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That's clearer than what you said. I'd say everyone is greedy and given a chance would take what they can, but then my rose tinted spectacles about human nature vs how people perceive themselves fell off some time ago.

2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I actually think Gove is right on this. How farmers fare in the future may be uncertain and some of our own future post Brexit environmental subsidies could be challenged as protectionist in any trade deal with foriegn entities, such as the USA where opportunities for US producers to export more to the UK will be a key issue, especially if the Republicans are still in control with their powerful Mid West lobbyists.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Here we go again.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The farmers are not exploiting the foreign workers. They are paying legal wages. The point is that unemployed British people will not take agricultural work. There are either not enough of them living in the area, they don't want to live in communal settings, they don't want seasonal work that then messes up their State benefits, they don't want to leave their families to travel between different planting and harvest schedules. Once seasonal work ends it can take 6-12 weeks to get Housing Benefit set up again. They can end up homeless and in spiralling debt if they resort to high interest loans.

Overseas workers, from poorer countries, will put up with sharing bedrooms, working 70 hour weeks when required, working seasonally etc because they have been able to save enough to make a difference back home. They no longer benefit as much from their savings as the exchange rate of the falling pound sterling means that they are sending less home for the same work effort.

smoothnewt and catmother like this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The exchange rate hasn't made as much difference as the fact that the economy in Romania is the fastest growing in the EU and unemployment has fallen dramatically, meaning that many young Romanians feel the same as their British counterparts - they no longer want or need seasonal work on the land. Much the same, although not to quite the same extent, in Bulgaria.

Agents for UK agriculture are now having to look to Ukraine and Russia for seasonal workers. Ultimately, though, British farmers will have to accept that cheap foreign labour will become as rare as horse-drawn buses: they will have to invest in machinery to bring in the harvest (as a few have already done).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  6. mila_romanovskaya2

mila_romanovskaya2 New commenter

:)

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I bet even those are not as rare as rocking horse drawn buses.

I expect horse-drawn buses would be more popular anyway if the drivers were allowed to stop when the horses defacated and the drivers were able to flog the manure to the passengers to help their roses along.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Very easily corrected.

mila_romanovskaya2 likes this.
  9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Forcing people to do jobs they don't want to do would result in low productivity. I've worked with offenders and just getting them to do things like paint walls or railings takes days instead of hours and they have to be overseen.
    British workers would have to have the same level of productivity as the foreign workers they replace for them to be of any use to employers who may end up not making a profit to pay a living wage. I think the inevitable result would be what Florie said, producers would invest in mechanisation and there would be no agricultural jobs for anyone, foreign or British.

jubilee likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's the self-interest bit but Smith's 'rational' is still missing.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Not if they knew there would be no benefits when they were fired.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have taught young offenders (17 to 21) they were fine and did as they were told. If they did not, there were ramifications, they knew this and worked well enough for me.
    Toyota, Nissan, honda???
    There would however be jobs for those who designed and manufactured the equipment and for those who used it and maintained it.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Not!

14. andorian

andorian New commenter

It hasn't done that for US.

15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Go on... Do tell...

racroesus likes this.
  16. mila_romanovskaya2

mila_romanovskaya2 New commenter

You are finding excuses. We have managed before, we can do so again.

17. andorian

andorian New commenter

I hate the fact that Brexiteers are denigrated as 'Little Englanders'. And the Scottish nationalists? Call them 'Little Scotlanders' which is what they are, albeit begging to doff their cap at the EU, and the heather flies.
    I loved Europe before the EU and I will love it after.

lexus300 likes this.
  18. andorian

andorian New commenter

I want to be a strawberry picker. How should I go about it? I'm 62, with a bad back and gammy hip, but other than that, I'm up for it.

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There are some serio7usly impressive robotic harvesters around these days:

border_walker likes this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You are correct with the current spineless leaders we now have.

alexei_yanovich likes this.