1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did the EU ever do for you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eljefeb90, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Next, one of you will be telling us that we'll have 350 million quid a week into the NHS when we don't have to give EU any more money!

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

When is argument week?

3. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

"The European Union", as a body, is fundamentally distinct from the European Economic Community, which the UK joined in 1973, for the following reasons:

a. It is no longer a "common market", but a continental protectionist trading block, where the only major countries not to use the single currency are the UK and Poland;
    b. It is, internationally, a de facto state, which enters into binding agreements on behalf of its members;
    c. Its basis in the Treaty of Rome makes it fundamentally immune to reform.

There may be some economic advantages to remaining within the EU, but these must be balanced against the alternatives, such as unilateral free trades (which would lower many/most commodity prices), departure on WTO and preserving our political independence.

We pay more into the EU than we receive - the money would still be available to spend on projects in the UK.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

"I can tell you that what I'm announcing will mean that in 2023-24 there will be about £600m a week, more in cash, going into the NHS".

NHS funding: Theresa May unveils £20bn boost

Year-by-year funding increases
    • 2019-20 - 3.6%
    • 2020 - 21 - 3.6%
    • 2021-22 - 3.1%
    • 2022-23 - 3.1%
    • 2023-24 - 3.4%

5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Economic integration was there from the outset.That is why it is proving so difficult to leave without severe economic dislocation. In my view, those who claim that the EU has not been the major stabilising force in Europe in the Post war era are totally lacking in credibility. I think they underestimate the soft power of the EU and its prosperity and values.

ilovesooty, dleaf12 and chelsea2 like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

And that's only a cash increase, not a real terms increase. Is she implying that if we'd stayed in the EU there would have been no cash increase at all (a real terms cut)? Surely not, so most of this "boost" isn't a 'Brexit dividend' increase in NHS funding at all, it's money that would have been given anyway.

It's an average cash increase of 3.4% per year over 5 years.

Doesn't compare well to the increase we could afford to put in during the 10 years 2000 to 2010 when we had no plans to leave the EU. A 7% increase per year in real terms (not cash). [Source: Financial Times]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    mathsmutt and dleaf12 like this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You have put words into my mouth which I did not say.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

You write as if the people of post-wat Europe are savages just waiting to kill each other were it not for a trade association keeping them apart.

The fact of the matter is that the people of Europe have had enough of conflict after two world wars.

peter12171 likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

Given that inflation is continuing at a remarkably low rate (1.5%) it is in fact a real terms increase according to your very own figures.

10. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

Like the Serbs and the Croats??

3.4 - 1.5 = 1.9% is a lot less of a real terms increase than 7% isn't it? I really don't think so much weight should be placed on this governments financial boasts. Its right up there with "spending on schools is at an all time high"

11. Rott Weiler

Neat swerve to completely avoid my main point there. I'm sure what I was saying will be obvious to everyone else so I won't repeat it.

And what with the ever aging population you'd have thought that the government would have been planning to give some real terms increase to the NHS anyway, even if we weren't leaving the EU, wouldn't you? I wonder what real terms increase they would have given without this claimed 'Brexit dividend'? Oooh, let me guess, about 1.9%? ;)

12. florian gassmann

Like the French, the Germans, the Spanish, the Italians, the Belgians, the Swedes, the Dutch .... and I don't recall the EU doing anything much to resolve conflict in the Balkans.

But more than £350 million a week. ;)

13. florian gassmann

I think that your main point is that however much more is given to the NHS, you will never want to stop whinging at the current government.

14. Rott Weiler

Your calculator needs new batteries. If 3.4% is equivalent to £600m pw as you claimed then 1.9% is less than £350m pw

I seem to have got you rattled. I do apologise.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

We are and always have been politically independent. Oh look, more bRexit lies, nonsense, misinformation, prejudice and rubbish. ALL economic forecasts say we would be better off staying in. Any person with the intellectual capacity above a mollusc would understand this.

dleaf12 likes this.
  16. florian gassmann

It's not my claim.

Not at all. I'm simply sorry that you are so dismissive of extra funds being given to the NHS.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

When it's woke?

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But they aren't English.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  19. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

And for a long time Europe was caught in the middle between two superpowers and contrasting political ideals. The impact of the Cold War on preserving peace in Europe is often overlooked. Two world wars, evidence of the horrific nature of modern warfare and a period of peace and relative prosperity for 40 years after WW2 have combined to make it unlikely that European nations will go to war for the foreseeable future. What might happen if the EU decides to become more like a nation state in itself, overlooking the history of its component nations, is more open to debate.

border_walker likes this.
  20. Rott Weiler

And another nifty swerve to avoid the question. You're on fire today florian!