1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did the EU ever do for you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eljefeb90, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Well, I posit the case of Spain. The prospect of joining the club of modern, prosperous western European nations helped immensely in the dodgy years of transition from dictatorship to democracy. Imagine if the instability and conflict in Syria had happened so close to home.

jomaimai and dleaf12 like this.
  2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

3. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

what u mean like the UK who contributed ZERO to the Queens ferry crossing yet wants to plaster it with the Union flag???

don't let your exceptionalism hit you on the way out :rolleyes:

mathsmutt and Geoff Thomas like this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

You will have to help me with understanding why EU investment in Romania is a benefit of UK EU membership.
    I'm all for remaining in the EU but don't feel the need to exaggerate the benefits.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Protection for workers in the gig economy.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

£79 million was given for the dualling of the Heads of the Valley road in Wales.

mathsmutt, blazer and LondonCanary like this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Where a fraction of the money paid by the UK, goes after the EU ‘funds’ it back.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

The EU proposition on this is more than a year after the similar UK initiative.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

But the Regions would not have received the money had it not been for the EU prioritising regeneration. The EU allocates funds without the political imperatives of the individual governments.

10. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

This thread will never see an agreed benefit if we focus on funded projects, because the UK is a net contributor to the EU, so every project the EU funds will be met with a sarcastic "oh yes they gave US back OUR money".

The issue with that response is that some of these projects, mostly under the aegis of European Regional Development Fund, would probably never have been funded if left to the Nasty Party or Tony B Liar's lot, but we can never prove that either.

Much of this countries present day scientific research funding now comes from European sources, and some fields simply are not viable at a national level any more, so our EU membership means we get to take part in eg space and particle physics research at ESA and CERN. We may still be able to do so in the future if they agree to let us buy our way back in post Brexit, but there will be a lot of uncertainty and disruption for a few years, and nothing is a given (see Gallieo project). As an example Culham Labs near Oxford is part funded by EurAtom and it has not yet been made clear what happens to that funding post Brexit, but you can bet there will be no further location of European Level facilities in UK, with the consequent negative effect to the local economy and the state of our future research.

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I do wonder, too, what might have been the outcome in many east European countries following the ending of the Soviet domination without the presence of a strong & supportive EU.

monicabilongame and eljefeb90 like this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Well said. I've been wanting to post something along the same lines but you've said it better that I could have said it.

Another point is that from what I observed going back to my home town in France once a year was that the build of so many projects always seemed to the credited 3 ways: central government money/regional money and EU funding. In short,EU funding was granted if the government also put money in. It could well be that the semi religious belief in "the private sector" as the only way prevented access to EU funding in UK based projects.

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The EU gave (gives) me the right to live and work across the EU.
    The EU gave(gives) stability to the rich and big business that thrive off its protectionist laws and stance.

The EU is not all bad, particularly for those who benefit from the above.

Just that freedom of its chains and regulations is preferable and for many deemed a better choice.

border_walker likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yugoslavia and Ukraine would be two cases you could look at.

15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I thought the UK was one of the founding members of CERN, back in 1954, long before the EU was thought up? EU members such as Eire complain at not being members of CERN while countries such as Israel ARE members of CERN. It is not an EU agency.

I don't think the UK are planning to leave CERN. Are you sure you haven't become muddled on this one?

nomad and border_walker like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

17. eljefeb90

I used to occasionally work for a small business. They found there was far less paper work exporting to the EU than to the USA. All they needed was a VAT number. So it wasn't just advantageous to multinationals.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is that not to be expected, seeing as we have full and free trade within the EU but the EU forces tariffs and as such paperwork and bureaucracy on anyone trading with those outside its bloc?

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Two compared with many, many more which transitioned peacefully and most are now part of the EU.

20. eljefeb90

Improved infrastructure, agreed standards and the rule of law attracts inward investment to poorer economies in eastern and southern Europe. It's a bit more complex than a zero sum game. EU investment in Romania, Bulgaria and Portugal makes these countries wealthier, more likely to buy our stuff and less likely to be a problematic failed state.Romania's growth rate has been 6-7 % per annum for the last two years. Poland's economy has doubled in size since the nineties.

chelsea2 likes this.