1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did the EU ever do for you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eljefeb90, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Even the most ardent Remainers struggle to love the EU at times. We have been fed with bendy banana stories for so many decades, negativity towards the EU has become embedded in the national psyche.
    Can anybody out there come out with some positives à la Life of Bryan?

Happygopolitely and TCSC47 like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most of the funding for serious medical research and science comes from the EU as the UK government has been unable or unwilling to do this since the 1970s.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How many roads and traffic works have been built with EU funding ?

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The EU provides us with many examples and reminders when you travel in these countries that not everywhere is as s**t and litter strewn as good old blighty.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The university of Central Lancashire in Preston has had over £15 million for building projects in the last 5 years.

farming has relied on the free movement of EU workers and is already being affected by those workers going for the long term security of work in other EU countries.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I give up. How many?

Happygopolitely likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It wasn't a question.

TCSC47 likes this.
  8. LondonCanary

That's done to individuals, not the EU. The EU didn't make Vienna a tidy place.

9. LondonCanary

Oh. My understanding of traditional punctuation misled me.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm not playing this game - sorry.

TCSC47 likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So the EU gives us back some of our own money to put towards a road. Do you realise that the EU only has to put up as much as 2.5% of the cost to have their flag put on the signs?

andorian and Happygopolitely like this.
  12. LondonCanary

I'm not convinced any UK roads have been EU projects. If anyone can name some projects , l will be happy to be proved wrong.

andorian and Happygopolitely like this.
  13. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Promoting democratic values and the rule of law/ responsible government in former dictatorships in southern and eastern Europe.

Geoff Thomas and TCSC47 like this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think I saw their flag on some big roadworks on the Heads' of the Valleys road last year. I haven't been back that way since as the delays were horrendous.

I have driven on some lovely EU paid for roads in Spain. They were deserted as the locals would not use them.

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But that is an odd one in terms of who is funding what, to whom and why. Arguably the EU doesn’t fund such research merely because the UK government is ‘unwilling’, but it could be argued that the UK government doesn’t fund it because our money is channeled to that area by the EU?

16. LondonCanary

Whilst that is a good thing, I don't see a personal or even national benefit as per the thread title.

Babycakes77 likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I always understood that the Nissan car plant in Sunderland, the Toyota plants in Derby and Deeside, and the Honda plant in Swindon were all assisted by EU money, because they wanted free access to Europe. So of course when we "leave" Europe they all up sticks and buzz off, probably to somewhere much cheaper like Slovenia (as other car manufacturers have) or Romania. Farmers have had huge subsidies too. And we won't get our fish back. Even if there was a huge unmentioned craving for fish, I do not expect fish sales to rocket if we changed access to "our" waters.

Of course this is just another Brexit thread with the usual appendage waving, and hence a waste of time, because somebody will always contradict anything if they simply do not believe it.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Free movement of people - wider opportunities
    A breaking down of barriers - a change of mindset.
    Working together instead of working against - sharing & developing ideas
    Greater security - no wars between EU countries.

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well, pretty clearly, you have not been looking.

Burndenpark likes this.
  20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

When I first travelled Europe, I felt on edge. Over the years I have got to know many Europeans who have all been very welcoming and until recently I have felt very comfortable there. The EU encouraged this. Now, my European friends are on edge themselves, viewing us as little englanders, which of course we are now. That is what we had in the EU and that is what we have lost.