1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What did I learn today?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Dec 7, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Having left teaching because of the ridiculous workload (and appalling behaviour of kids) I was offered a newp/t job very soon afterwards, which I love - I also love the extra time off.

Recently I was headhunted for another job within the organisation, and one I could do alongside my current (p/t) job. it went something like:
    "Oh, you'd be brilliant at this"; "We could really use your skills here, you've got everything we need"; "We could sort out the extra hours for you"; "You'd pretty much do it whatever way you wanted" and so on. The job is certainly something I could do and would enjoy, and would be an additional challenge.... and I love a challenge.

So why, after several days of thinking about it and all the interesting ways I could do the job, and the extra money and the kudos, did I decide not to take it? Because I realised that just because I can do the job, and just because someone else really wants me to, it doesn't mean I have to!

Teaching is full of people being asked to do more and more, to fill in gaps, take on extra tasks, help colleagues out etc, and being made to feel guilty, if not worse things, if we don't, especially if we have skills or qualifications in that area.

When I told the job vacancy line manager I wasn't going to take the job her reactions was "that's ok". And I know it will be - nobody will treat me any differently. How different and how refreshing from the world of school!

indusant, ilovesooty, ScotSEN and 5 others like this.
  2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Not modesty, that's for sure!;)

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I was quoting what I was told, not what I actually believe.
    And I don't do modesty - I do honesty.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was one of the most experienced teachers in my school and (immodesty abounds) one of the most able in a number of ways. I worked 80% for the last 6 years or so and had a 2nd in dept role which suited me as I had another job (s/e) outside of teaching too. I was very frequently encouraged to join this or that group to get involved in this and that task with inexperienced greasy pole climbers as it was known that I understood what it was about and would do the hand holding rather than needing my hand held.

Amongst other things, this idea of "you can, so you should" helped me out of the door, especially as it always came from those who got paid more for being less effective.

If you can do the job you should be paid to do it, not do it as a freebie for those who can't do it themselves but for some reason still hold the position where they should be doing it.

A nice boost @monicabilongame and a good decision.

5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

And congratulations to Monica for being offered the job
    And further congratulations on declining

cissy3 and ilovesooty like this.
  7. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

I'm reminded of an old zen story that has stayed with me ever since I read it a few years ago....

'One day a fisherman was laying on a beautiful beach, with his fishing pole propped up in the sand and his solitary line cast out into the sparkling blue surf. He was enjoying the warmth of the afternoon sun and the hope of catching a fish.

About that time, a businessman came walking down the beach trying to relieve some of the stress of his workday. He noticed the fisherman sitting on the beach and decided to find out why this fisherman was fishing instead of working hard to make a living for himself and his family. “You’re not going to catch many fish that way,” said the businessman, “You should be working harder rather than laying on the beach!”

The fisherman looked up, smiled and replied, “And what will my reward be?” “Well, you can get bigger nets and catch more fish!” was the businessman’s answer. “And then what will my reward be?” asked the fisherman, still smiling. The businessman replied, “You will make money and you’ll be able to buy a boat, which will then result in larger catches of fish!” “And then what will my reward be?” asked the fisherman again. The businessman was beginning to get a little irritated with the fisherman’s questions.

“You can buy a bigger boat, and hire some people to work for you!” he said. “And then what will my reward be?” The businessman was getting angry. “Don’t you understand? You can build up a fleet of fishing boats, sail all over the world, and let your employees catch fish for you!” Once again the fisherman asked, “And then what will my reward be?” The businessman was red with rage and shouted at the fisherman,

“Don’t you understand that you can become so rich that you will never have to work for your living again! You can spend all the rest of your days sitting on this beach, looking at the sunset. You won’t have a care in the world!”

The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, “And what do you think I’m doing right now?”'

http://www.thedailyzen.org/2015/06/20/the-fisherman-the-businessman/

lizziescat, cissy3 and Effiepie like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Brilliant @monicabilongame.

I've had similar experiences since I left teaching and joined my current company. It's great isn't it? :)

lizziescat and cissy3 like this.