1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What data do you keep records of in your markbooks?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mrharringtonmaths, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mrharringtonmaths

mrharringtonmaths New commenter

Just looking for ideas of what data is worth recording from September.

This year, my markbook hasn't been used as effectively as I would have liked it to have been. It's mainly got my list of PP/SEN and their corresponding homework and test scores. I've seen a whole host of teachers keep records of other data like lateness, equipment borrowed or even who's borrowed equipment.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Why? You phrase this as if someone else is going to be using your markbook and you're disappointed that they haven't.
    • What data have you made use of this year? - if you've recorded homework/test scores have you actually used them when talking to parents/planning lessons/reporting progress etc.
    • What data have you wanted but haven't had recorded? - are there any times you've wanted to know who it was that borrowed a pen three months ago?
    • Is your markbook the best place for this data? - do you need to be reminded of who is SEN/PP when recording homework or test scores? Wouldn't it be better to access this data from SIMs (or equivalent) when you are planning a trip/differentiating resources rather than carrying it around with you everywhere.
    FWIW I record test scores so I have an idea about progress but that's about it. SEN/PP information comes from actually knowing the kids (because a PP whose parent was made redundant 4 years ago but found a new job immediately has vastly different needs from a PP who's the fifth generation never to have had a job). I don't feel that transposing the data from SIMs to my markbook would mean I use this data any better. Likewise, I'm already taking a register on SIMs every lesson and recording who's late, issuing warnings and detentions and lack of homework on there. Why would I want to duplicate this?

Record whatever data you find useful. Data's only really useful when it's used to inform the next steps - you could record every single bit of data about a child from what they have for breakfast to how many hours of sleep they get. If you don't use it to plan the next steps, then the data is pointless.

NIHistoryTeacher likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I used to keep all sorts of data when I started, thought it was the thing to do. Then my head of department asked what it was all for. Since then I've kept very little, and if I do, I put it straight onto a simple spreadsheet so I can sort it to help with set changes etc. To be honest, schools collect, keep and fail to use so much data, there seems very little need for individual teachers to keep anything much.

border_walker likes this.
  4. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I used to keep test scores and 1,2 or 3 for homework (good, average, poor) We got a new head teacher and now we are expected to record all sorts of stuff in our mark books and duplicate it all on seating plans. Total waste of time but apparently its what OFSTED expect.

5. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

The excuse for getting teachers to do nonsense tasks - "it's what OFSTED want." Usually this is never backed up with any evidence but the mere mention of the big O seems enough to get compliance because of the fear of losing your job.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i must admit that i do transfer the initial data to my seating plan as it helps me and supply teachers. But you can then get into the issue of data protection, what you want the pupils to see etc.
    One previous school made us label all PP/disadvantaged pupils on seating plans and suggested that we sit them all together too. We did ask if we could give them all a nice yellow star to wear so everyone knew who they were at all times and could treat them differently as we had been directed.
    I did also point out that I was on free meals so would have been in the special group and that if my parents had found out they would have been most unimpressed to say the least.

Piranha likes this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we have been told if we put this in, we can't take it home, and have to keep it under lock and key