1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what criteria are NQT's supposed to be observed against

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1369, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Sorry if the title doesn't make sense. I am just wondering which 'criteria' NQT observations are made against?
    In all my observations I am being observed according to the new OFSTED criteria and given a grade according to this criteria, which I think is slightly unfair, or is this correct?

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

You are observed and graded against the same standards as any other teacher. You may not be expected to be getting Good or Outstanding, but you have QTS, so need to meet the Core standards (and are graded by Ofsted in the normal manner).

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

NQT feedback is based on the Core professional standards and it is helpful if lesson observations also follow the same procedure. However there seems to be as many different lesson observation formats used as there are schools around and this was one reason why I put an NQT observation form on the resources linked to the current standards. After September the new core standards for teachers are being used for any NQT assessments .

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For our NQTs we simply tick off the core standards we see in the lesson and give feedback based on those. We don't grade the lesson as such.

However if the standards are not being met (behaviour, teaching, planning) then it is likely the lesson isn't satisfactory and so someone might begin to say so.

Having said that, our NQTs are aware of the ofsted framework and the difference between the gradings. Ideally we hope they strive to be outstanding and to show this in their lessons.