1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What could I do with my School Council?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by sfm_81, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Hi, I've just taken over the school council at my primary school. They haven't really done much this year (I don't think) and I want to help them implement something really good in the summer term.

We are a primary school with a big intake in recent years so I have a lot of members in Y1,2,3!. Does anybody have any success stories on things that they might have done with the SC that have improved the school or improved T&L? My HT is very kind and he has given us a £150 budget too!

Any ideas welcome! Thank you :)

2. Hi
    why not renovate the playground? Have an eco committe and look round the grounds looking for areas of improvement. Possibly using the 150 for outdoor chalks, flowers and seeds or gardening tools? Cost effective, look great and great fun!

Good luck

3. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

Fair Trade Activities
    Eco Schools Activities
    Start up after schools clubs
    Day of action - working on school grounds etc.
    Organise competitions
    Raise money for school funds/charity
    Get a folder togther, have children take minutes of every meeting, take pics

4. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Your starting point could be a term/year focused on environmental sustainability, initiating a green school culture. The subject can provide opportunities for a range of fun activities and also presents areas where curricular links can be found. Environmental sustainability is also an area where additional funding is generally easier to find, with a lot of big organisations using the connection between schools and environment to provide a ‘corporate social responsibility’ link. If the school council can create a better understanding of sustainability, the school could also save money, for example by becoming more energy efficient. You have a great opportunity to influence significant change in your school and if it looks like fun, you will have no problem with student engagement.If you would like further information, Teachshare is a free online resource providing links to information that can be used to support environmental subjects including activities and where funding can be found. The site also contains other information for integrating sustainability including lesson plans.For free membership go to www.teachshare.org.uk and use access code tesr11