1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What could happen?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cupofteacher, Dec 7, 2011.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

An incident today resulted in a student telling me that they were going to get me sacked and told me the allegations they were intending to make.

I have referred all of this onto my HT, but I am now really worrying about whether this student will make any allegations and what more I could do in the event that they do.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. cupofteacher

An incident today resulted in a student telling me that they were going to get me sacked and told me the allegations they were intending to make.

I have referred all of this onto my HT, but I am now really worrying about whether this student will make any allegations and what more I could do in the event that they do.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

3. Make a written record of:
    • what happened in class (or whereever it was)
    • who said what & to whom
    • any witnesses (and ask them to record what they saw/heard)
    • what the student has threatened to do
    • tell yout union rep
    If the student makes allegations the school will investigate. If the allegations are false you are in the clear. If not, it depends on the incident.
    Above all, unless you have done something monumentally stupid and unprofessional, don't worry.

4. cupofteacher

Thanks, I will get onto my union first thing in the morning, have done all the above.

IF allegations are made would the school have to suspend me whilst they investigate? I have done nothing wrong whatsoever, I'm just very very worried about the implications of being suspended should allegations be made.

5. If you know you are innocent and have done nothing wrong, look on the bright side: if you are suspended you will have 2 or 3 months of lie-ins, no marking and no driving in bad weather. The suspension is to keep you out of the way whilst the school investigates. It will be put about that you are "ill". If you are innocent the suspension should be removed from your record.

6. cupofteacher

OK, thanks for your replies...just been one thing after another this week and worrying lots!! time for a bath and cup of tea I think. I'll keep you posted on what does happen.

7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Some students can be little s~~~~ts... my deepest sympathies! Excellent advice from above posts, in addition, from somone who has been there, do NOT trust anyone at school, any correspondence from school - keep in duplicate as your responses where necessary, collect any evidence now of lesson observations, Performance management etc, any emails etc that you may have sent about this student in the past (in case it is a vendetta) - take all this home and keep safe. If you are suspended, it does suck to be honest... it is supposed to be a neutral act but you will get paranoid, so do something constructive - when I was suspended, I took up gardening and also painted my living room and kitchen! Read through disciplinary procedures very carefully and make sure that school is following them - if not, complain to your union. If you want to talk, PM me but I really do hope this blows over and this student is severely sanctioned for their maliciousness! Refuse to teach student until this is over! xxx

8. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I don't know you, and I don't know the circumstances in which this occured, but for whats it's worth, I'd like to share my opinion.
    Pupils are only too aware that any allegation they make is highly likely to be investigated, and they are also aware, regardless of their ability/attainment etc, that to threaten an allegation is likely to be the most that they can try to do to a teacher, in order to 'get the teacher into trouble', and to scare the teacher. Keep this in mind.
    I have been in situations where I have had pupils and parents threatening all sorts in terms of allegations (admittedly it was in a BESD special school with all the associated problems) I have made meticulous notes of the incidents and the threats of allegations and completed all the relevant paperwork to make my stance clear. Nothing ever came of anything for me, nor many of my colleagues.
    Follow Follyfairy's advice, and good luck.

B x

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I have little to add to the excellent advice you have already been given above, which is spot on. I, too, have been there and it's the most awful feeling. I hope it blows over soon.
    If, as I hope, it turns out that this is a malicious act on the part of the aforementtioned little s~~t, I would suggest you make a formal complaint to the police. I wish far more teachers would follow up malicious allegations from students and parents as the criminal acts they are and make them realise that their actions have serious consequences.

10. cupofteacher

Thanks for all the advice :)