1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What constitutes for TLR payments?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ctinblue7, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    What constitutes for TLR payments on top of your normal salary? Do sports/music/language clubs fall under this category? Very confused! [​IMG] What are current teachers doing who receive this payment?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

SLT, SENCO, IN CO, Lit coordinator, KS1 leader,Child Protection designated person, Extended Schools, Multi Agency liaison ...[​IMG]

3. Not a chance for clubs!
    Most schools dont give them for subjects either. I've got the lowest TLR you can get for being KS1 Phase Leader and a member of SLT. Im also ICT coord but the TLR is for the KS1 post.

4. Msz

Mine is the lowest TLR too and is officially for Literacy

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

As the name suggests they are for a T+L role, usually coordination, responsibility and accountability for a subject or other teaching/learning area. Clubs are not part of a teacher's professional duties so running them would not usualy qualify, tho' organsising them all as part of a school's SIP might. It depends on the school, TLRs can only be awarded in line with the school's staffing structure, where the TLRs available and the scales at which they are paid are laid out. This structure has to have been approved by the governing body and consulted on with staff.

6. Alie

Alie New commenter

Lowest TLR for leading a year group, being a member of the SLT, co-ordinate all students (including two GTP's), mentor the majority of students, mentor an NQT, ICT co-ordinator and KS1/2 liaison as work in a junior school. Believe it or not I do teach in there also and run an after school club. Although it comes in under ICT I am in charge of sorting out our new Learning platform etc.

7. I'm Lit Co-Ord but not TLR, not on senior management. Makes it difficult in so many ways for me to do the job well. [​IMG]

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm Literacy, Numeracy, RE and PSHE co-ordinator, Assessment Leader, KS2 leader, NQT/student mentor and a couple of other things too ( School Council and Eco schools). I get the lowest TLR ( and the only one in the school!)

9. This all sounds horrendous! My life is stressful enough, you can keep your TLR and the hassle that goes with it! I'll stick with the simple life; class teacher no after school clubs or management responsibility (although have to co-ordinate 2 subjects because I teach in a very small school). I know when I'm well off!

10. Blimey. I'll shut up. My sympathies.

11. wow! You are all superstars! I can't believe the difference between those who do get TLR. Is it really worth it then, considering the increased responsiblities? Am I correct in understanding the lowest TLR payment is just over £1200 a year? [​IMG]

12. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

No, the lowest rate in maintained schools is £2535 a year at the moment.

13. Thanks for the clarification tafkam [​IMG] That certainly sounds much better than £1200!

14. Msz

of course after tax your figure in't so far off [​IMG]

15. I get about an extra £100ish a month after tax, for my TLR (again, the lowest.)
    Is it worth it? Nope, not really. It's not hugely noticable, and I could save that £100 a month by having a couple less nice meals out etc each month if I really wanted to.
    I did it because I wanted to further my career. I wouldn't recommend doing it just for the money ;p

16. haha! impulce! I don't think anyone going into teaching is doing it for the money [​IMG] Are TLR's eligible to NQT's or will we have to wait till we've completed induction?

17. becky70

becky70 New commenter

I don't know if this is set in stone that you can't but even if it is allowed I can't imagine a school giving an NQT a role which involves a TLR.
    Schools are strapped for cash and as you will have read from people who have them any role which merits a TLR will involve a lot of extra responsibility and extra work. As an NQT you've got enough to do getting to grips with the role of a class teacher, hence the 10% non contact time. You may well be able to get one in your second year though although this may involve moving schools.

18. Thanks becky70. I was thinking the same thing but just wanted to ask anyhoo. [​IMG]