1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What constitutes EAL?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by missm11, Jul 3, 2020.

1. missm11

missm11 New commenter

Hello all

I am applying for a position asking for a Primary English Teacher. CfBT, the company, want 'relevant EAL experience' along with 'overseas' experience'.I feel like I have both on paper, but before I submit a lengthy application to the company concerned, I would love some advice or info as there seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes EAL exactly.

I have taught in several international schools where the majority of the children had English as an additional language, but they were largely fluent in English and English was taught per the National Curriculum in the same way it would be taught in UK to native speakers. I did, of course, adapt my teaching to take into account they were EAL students.

The job in question wants teachers to teach English language in order to promote students to be bilingual and they appear to stress the importance of current knowledge of EAL practice, which to me suggests people who have TEFL qualifications and experience in specific English as a second language teaching?

The job doesn't specify TEFL qualifications other than to ask for this 'relevant EAL experience'.

I have a BA QTS in English with Primary Teaching but have no TEFL qualification or direct experience teaching EAL as a discrete entity. Is applying a waste of time?

Any advice or info much appreciated, especially from anyone currently working for the company.

Thanks in advance!

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Where the job? Sounds like China.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

They said cfbt - that's Brunei.

4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Ah OK. My bad.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

You might not get many replies, I think this forum is mostly UK expats and whilst your potential colleagues would include some Brits there are also many Kiwis, Aussie and South Africans working for them.

It's pretty well paid, split weekend seems to be difficult for some. Also your long holiday is December, rather than July and August. So lots of things different to what you might be accustomed to.

6. missm11

missm11 New commenter

Thanks 576.

I'm fine with the hols - split weekend no problem - think the package looks pretty good - it's my eligibility I wasn't sure about with regards to previous EAL teaching and my own experience with that.

7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I would imagine that this is what they mean. Maybe be ready to discuss how it affected your practice etc.

8. jrz0711

jrz0711 New commenter

They want to know that you have experience of teaching non-native speaker students and can adapt your material accordingly for them. You don't need to have a TEFL qualification. As long as you can discuss differentiation, assessment for learning and other current educational trends in the interview you'll be fine.

I worked in Brunei for 7 years and enjoyed it. Message me privately if you want more info.

9. missm11

missm11 New commenter

Thanks for answer yasf :)

Will PM you jrz