1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What constitutes an 'outstanding' lesson these days?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DJL, Dec 3, 2010.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Eh?

2. <font size="3">Becky</font>

3. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

Oh, so true..................................

4. novorapid

novorapid New commenter

"tell em what your going to tel em (as a challenge or a question): help them discover, tell em; and tell em what you've told em"
    might be a basis on which to work.
    But first ask them what they know and shape your response around that and make sure that the activities are accessible to each type of learner.
    Motivate and make the class feel enthusiastic, committed and or accountable for the results.
    Inspire them, it's worked for older friends of mine.
    I have supervised teachers who tick all of the WALT. WILF AFL LO ICT boxes and the tick box looks fine but the kids have been totally turned off.
    Schools have to remember that a student is exposed to the various prescibed patterns of lessons imposed throughout the school lesson after lesson after lesson after lesson and the more a school management impose the greater the boredom....... just ask the children.

5. Success Criteria- What the children need to do to be successful. You can differentiate them that way everyone can achieve. For all the technical discussions, an outstanding lesson is really one where the whole class has moved on in their learning however small the progress is. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds. This question is really as bad as how long is a piece of string? It really depends on the likes/dislikes of the person observing you, such is the conundrum that is OFSTED who apparently are our lord and masters. Funny, I thought I was there for the children in my clas, apparently not! Bitter? No I'm not!

6. Sorry I meant class, typing too fast. This was in reply to the person who wasn't sure what SC meant.

7. glossolalia

glossolalia New commenter

@paulie86

i use boardworks for plenarys (plenaries)

8. glossolalia

Better still. I use boardwalks for plenaries.

9. Being a trainee still (no experience of being 'outstanding' yet!), I've been trying to get my hands as many useful books on this sort of subject as I can! I don't necessarily want to be given 'outstanding', thought that would be nice, but want to improve on last year's marks for my teaching practice. One of the books I've invested in is 'The Lazy Teacher's Handbook' by Jim Smith. I've read it cover to cover (it really is that good) and I have the feeling it may be becoming my bible on my next teaching practice! To quote from the 'blurb': "This powerful book is packed full of easy-to-apply strategies, strategies which Ofsted have rated as 'outstanding'." I don't know how much help this will be, but no-one seems to have mentioned it, so I thought I would.

10. As a second in department who has to observe other teachers and report back I have had the Ofsted observation training and whilst each ofsted inspector my notice different things within e class, the criteria from which they have to work is actually very rigid. What is apparent over the last two years is a massive shift from what the teacher is doing to what the children are learning. This means that if the learning of the students is outstanding then it must be an outstanding lesson. It makes it difficult to be an outstanding teacher since you are dependent on the learning capabilities of the class and this can change drastically within a school. The great things about it is that it really focuses on the students, which is the reason why we are there. I am slightly concerned by the teachers in this thread who still think it is ok to stand at the front of the room and talk. This is not acceptable because children do not learn like that. Adults do not learn like that. Lectures for school age children turn them off the subject, this is a fact. Speak to people who hated a particular class at school and it will be because a teacher talked all lesson, got them to copy off the board and did not allow them to take charge of their own learning. The future of education is in helping students to find their own pedagogy, how they learn best and then apply this to each lesson. That way they will keep learning far beyond school and more importantly will have ownership of their education.
    As for the original post, the fact that you are interested in producing an outstanding lesson and striving to be a great teacher with interesting lessons shows that you will inevitably do well at interview as long as you let this show. Be passionate, show a good level of interaction with the students and make sure that at each point you have evidence for your summation of the lesson, e.g. "I knew they needed to spend longer on this as when I questioned them several did not have the right answer," or "70% of the class had met the second objective so I would revisit this the next lesson in my starter to consolidate".

11. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I don't teach like this myself, but many of my own teachers did; we certainly did learn! Have you conducted any research to prove nobody learns like this-it's a very sweeping statement.
    I think many adults probably do-if you listen to what is said, you will probably take some of it in. Most of my high school/university teaching was like this.

It isn't all about making it fun though. I hated some teachers and lessons at school because at the time I thought they were boring and hard work. I learned lots from those particular lessons/teachers though.
    What if some learners *do* learn from 'chalk and talk'? Do we ignore their learning requirements.

I'm not being awkward-I just feel that *they* have decided that lessons should be a certain way this week because *they* think that children need to be entertained and will learn best this way. Work isn't necessarily fun all of the time-it certainly won't be in the workplace. It won't be acceptable to then complain that things have suddenly got all boring and hard.

12. Here, here!

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Utter b*ll$hit.

I'm not saying every single lesson should be a lecture or anything like that but your statement is full of it.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

There is always a place for chalk and talk.
    It won't win you an outstanding lesson observation.
    Who gives a sh*t though?
    My class learn loads when we down tools and have a good old chinwag about a subject, where they ask any questions they have about it. They enjoy it too (as do I, incidentally). And that's what's important, really isn't it?
    I could, at such points, tell them to look it up on the internet (given that this is what I'm sure lots of 'child-led learning' actually involves in many schools), but that wouldn't be teaching would it? A trained monkey could do this.
    I'm not saying that chalk and talk should dominate teaching, but there is certainly a place for it still.

15. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I know we've had our disagreements Milgod, but you are spot on here.

16. Correlation isn't always cause.
    Younger teachers are closer to qualification and more likely to be marked as needing further training than treated as capability cases. And it's harder to have a long record of poor performance if you don't have a long record.
    But https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=2291767 is interesting, if a tad depressing for folk over 10 years in the job.

17. Apologies. I should have indicated that I was replying to
    harchie's post of 04/12/2010, which said (in part)
    "being less than 30 is normally the main criteria these days. [snipped] ... and if you dont believe me - ask your union which teachers are most on capapbilities."

18. I find the whole outstanding thing completely erratic and extremely flawed. In my local area (and I can only speak for my area, naturally) there are particular schools that consistently get outstanding and teacher's get outstanding lesson obs. Amazingly these schools also get the best SAT results. Now of course one could suggest these go hand in hand, but one could also suggest that OFSTED are hardly going to go into a school that has great SAT results and deem the majority of the teachers as satisfactory. Furthermore, if a school has not had great SAT results they are hardly going to deem the majority of the teaching in that school as outstanding as this would undermine the whole process - surely a school with outstanding teaching should get outstanding results and vice-versa (in fact the last time OFSTED came into our school we were told satisfactory was the ceiling grade for the school because of KS1 results regardless of the standard of teaching - yeah, thanks for that, now where's that wall for be to bang my head against?) They are not going to make an assesment on teaching, based on observations, that does not tally with overall SAT results.
    I have worked in both satisfactory and outstanding schools and if anything the satisfactory school worked so much harder than the teachers in the outstanding school and the outstanding school staff were pretty complacent and ignored many government incentives (APP, AfL etc).
    Finally, it is a fact that children from middle class backgrounds are statistically more likely to do well acedemically than their working class counterparts so SAT results must stastically be higher in affluent areas, and like so many things in this country: a postcode lottery. I must stipulate that I am only speaking for the LEA I work in and could no way comment on any other LEAs.
    My advice. Who cares what OFSTED think. They are politically driven and I don't trust them as far as I could kick 'em. If only. . . .

19. glossolalia

I subscribe to both points of view. Children can learn from other children and as a result find answers fro themselves.
    However, for many other children, they aren't really learning. They simply repeat/copy what the more intelligent children have discovered. Is learning taking place ?
    I agree with good questioning but am uncomfortable with closed questions being frowned upon. Surely this is a differentiation and confidence tool ?? for many children.
    I still feel that I can't model as much as I'd like to because I know this will pull down the grading of my lessons !
    Interestingly, Paul McCartney at a very young age trecked across Liverpool to visit a man who SHOWED him a chord.
    My point being, we all need to be shown things. I don't ever remember setting foot inside a car and teaching myself how to drive .
    Fuuny eh ?