1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What consitutes 'substantial' when looking at JCQ exam regulations?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by noodlesdoodle, Jan 29, 2020.

1. noodlesdoodle

noodlesdoodle New commenter

A student has a report which states they have 'a sub-type of mild dyslexia'. Primary issues are spelling and working memory.
    Standard scores for reading in 90s apart from accuracy which is 88. The inaccuracy is around adding in words and doesn't impact on ability in comprehension assessment.
    reading age was 12 is now 11
    making expected progress in all subjects except science and this has improved. this is without a reader

JCQ have removed the 84 standard score benchmark and now say it is just 'substantial, long term' etc.

Would this be classed as a substantial profile?

JCQ and AQA have not given me a straightforward answer.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

What AA do you think would benefit this student and if replicated in routine provision ( I am assuming the report has only just been generated ? ) do they create a level playing field as it were - these are the questions you need to ask yourself ? I would interpret long term as a difficulty which has been identified addressed / diagnosed early and has been the subject of intervention and substantial as not being able to access the curriculum without additional / different targeted / bespoke strategies ? I don't think the wording of the report helps ? - presumably via the EP - do they have an opinion on AA ?