1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What changes do you want?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TEA2111, Oct 19, 2015.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Firstly, I would like to say how thankful I am to have a forum where I can vent knowing that I'm not alone in my experiences and frustrations. And it would seem that there are many of us who are quite frankly, not happy with the status quo. But every time I read and share in the frustrations of others, my mind defaults to "what is the solution?"

2. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Wilshaw sacked without pay-off, pension or seat in House of Lords (what he's been after all along)

Ofsted disbanded, again with inspectors getting no settlement or reference (see how they like it)

Morgan sacked

Gove arrested

Academies and free schools back into LEA control

Ban on ALL faith schools

Leaving age lowered to 14, kids who leave or kicked out at this point NEVER qualify for any benefits unless they've paid into system or become disabled

Teachers ok to physically remove disruptive students

Schools to have three strikes policy on behaviour; ANY assault on staff treated same as if in job centre, hospital etc

Business managers to be paid not a penny more than lowest-paid qualified teacher in school; if they can demand more in private sector, best of luck to them

Only qualified teachers to teach

Head TEACHERS to run school and TEACH, not executive heads like in hospitals

Me as Prime Minister.

Think that covers most of it :D

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'd like teachers to be trusted to do the job we trained to do. If that happened them many of the onerous things we put up with would become less necessary and we could spend our time actually teaching.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Can't disagree with most of that - do you have referees for your application for your position as PM? Or at least a bicycle proficiency or swimming sustificut.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Realistically...

1) A more holistic view of education. Not simply data driven or exam driven.
    2) An acceptance that at 16 years old the responsibility for a child's attainment rests firstly with the child, secondly with the parent, and providing the teaching is of satisfactory quality, a distant third with the teacher.
    3) Education alongside health to be managed on a cross party level and for the greater good.
    4) An inspection system that is simple, less judgmental, and focused on helping schools to improve. Unlike some I appreciate there has to be some sort of monitoring, but the way that it is done now is a bit silly. People, at any level, should not be afraid of government agencies in 21st century Britain.
    5) Get rid of the obsession with DIRT marking and constant assessment which is onerous on teachers, and a waste of time for pupils.
    6) A return to standard teachers pay and conditions that are set in stone. I personally don't care if schools are academies or LEA (free schools are a slippery slope though) providing that conditions are the same- workload, pay etc.
    7) A stronger, more effective union movement and for teachers to engage and support unions not just when they want something from it.
    8) Teachers to treat each other, and be treated by parents and government, with the professional respect they deserve.

6. longtimelistener

longtimelistener New commenter

I would like to see
    Less marking. Not everything has to have a paragraph of two stars and a wish after it.
    Less screen time. Lessons take so long to plan when you're expected to use the interactive whiteboard. Some lessons don't need it!
    More control over unruly students. Being able to call the IEU for constant low level disruption and let me get on with my lesson.
    Less meetings. I have a meeting every day after school until 4.30. I could be using that time to mark or plan.
    More respect for our own profession. Ofsted come in and bereate perfectly good teachers when all they're doing is ticking boxes about what is deemed to be "good" - we need to demand a different inspection system.
    Less corporate horrors. My school has a total "us" and "them" feel to it. Less SLT. More teachers.

mark6243, guinnesspuss and TEA2111 like this.
  7. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

All the above and...to talk freely in the staff room.
    What I really miss is being able to trust my colleagues and SLTs!
    I am always watching out what I am saying. It was not like this when I started teaching.

mark6243 and RedQuilt like this.
  8. drek

drek Star commenter

No one with less than 5 years teaching full time tables to be promoted. It should definitely not be on the basis of 'outstanding' pretend lessons. Every professional knows if you teach like that every lesson, no child will make any progress. Groundhod day everyday!
    No talkative TA or supply one day, teacher the next. With no nqt training in between. Particularly after providing unprofessional gossip about the teacher whose job they were after.
    No supply teacher for years on end.
    This usually means the unfortunate qualified teacher sharing groups with such staff are burdened with ALL the admin work which is now 50 percent or more of directed time outside the classroom. Ridiculous state of affairs.
    And definitely no pay awards for people who love producing secretive spreadsheets for the sake of it to collect leadership points.
    Be our useless guest, but stop asking the rest of the staff to populate it for hours on end at whim, and then insult them by misusing it for performnce management evidence!

9. drek

drek Star commenter

A balance of subject teacher backgrounds in SLT. The three schools I've taught in were heavily weighed with media studies. Art PE and H&S and sundry vocationals.
    Why?
    I guess they have always had more time for BS. They find it hard to accept that an academic teacher might be doing brain work which they can't 'show' constant written evidence of, or go on talking about how they've changed lives a la jeremy kyle. So they just discount it off directed time. Easy peasy.
    These people in leadership are doing glorified Human Resource roles. Payscales should go back to asking a simple question.
    Can children be taught without any teachers?
    Can teachers still carry on teaching without a monitoring army of 30-40 middle leaders or exam officers or SLT?
    Which roles are Essential?

Mangleworzle likes this.
  10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Good point

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Exactly. The whole concept of the business model is ridiculous when applied to schools, the management are running it for their own purposes with the blessing of Ofsted and politicians, all primarily focussed on keeping their own jobs at any cost.

Imagine a school was a business you were running, if you decided you needed a level of people doing simple monitoring tasks (I'm ignoring for the time being that such a level is not really needed at all) how much would you pay them? On what basis would you employ them? From where would you recruit them? The answer to these questions is not what is happening now.

Then of course on a business model many schools would simply be shut down and re-located. How many businesses blame their staff for doing their best within a business model that is flawed or sited in the wrong place? Then again maybe that's the plan, the government know they don't know how to "correct" it (translation - meet their own self imposed idiot targets), so fatten it all up, sell it off to the private sector and all the currently public stuff takes place behind closed doors with no trail of blame back to Westminster.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ofsted have to go as they are not fit for purpose.

They recently sacked 40% of their inspectors as not up to the job, they've been misusing data for years, their inspectors, school governors and even teachers are woefully ill-informed as to how to deal with even rudimentary statistics, Ofsted judgements are almost wholly results/data driven, they are subjective and Ofsted are responsible as the root cause of all the nonsensical absolute **** that is going on in schools and making teachers' lives miserable. They are a disgrace.

https://www.tes.com/article.aspx?storycode=6356566

Ofsted and inspection grades driven by data: http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/is-ofsted-playing-charades

http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.co...-reflection-of-the-teaching-in-a-given-school

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...tions-youd-be-better-off-flipping-a-coin.html

The triple marking debacle http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/new-ofsted-orthodoxies-triple-marking

or even worse than flipping a coin
    http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/publications/watching the watchmen.pdf

http://physicsfocus.org/lies-damned-lies-ofsteds-pseudostatistics/

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

And here's my favourite contribution (a letter in the Guardian) to the debate from a Physicist:

Zoe Williams’ important and perceptive article highlights that “competition can only be fostered in a world of constant measurement”. True, but what is unfortunately not widely recognised is that Ofsted’s approach to measurement is fundamentally flawed. As a physicist and, until recently, a parent governor for my children’s primary school, I have been appalled at the level of statistical innumeracy at the core of Ofsted’s methods.

A key example is Ofsted’s Data Dashboard, which governors are expected to use to inform their decision-making. Remarkably, the dashboard provides no information at all on the statistical reliability of the data – schools are compared and ranked with no indication of the extent to which the variations can be explained by natural statistical fluctuations. Often, the year-to-year fluctuations within a single school are larger than the variation between so-called “similar” schools (and the methods behind identifying “similar” schools are far from robust and well-established).

We teach our first year physics undergraduates that to make a measurement without including an estimate of the error bars is, to quote Wolfgang Pauli slightly out of context, “not even wrong”. One can only imagine what the famously irascible Pauli would have made of Ofsted’s abuse of data.
    Philip Moriarty
    School of physics and astronomy, University of Nottingham

mark6243, bombaysapphire and lanokia like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think I've outlined my ideas on the thread in 'Education News'.

Most of all I'd just like teachers to be returned to the status of respected professionals. To achieve that you'd need a whole sale cull of SLT in the UK to ensure a new approach could be put in place organically from the bottom up.

RedQuilt likes this.
  15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Others have covered the issues with excessive marking and appalling use of data which impact on the motivation of teachers. The other key point to address is the motivation of the pupils. The only way to address that is to make school optional earlier. I suggest age 14. I think that pupils who opt out should have credit for an additional two years of free education so they can access it if they find the need later in life.