1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What chance have I got? Frankly.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Russian, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Dear Theo (&Vincent),
    What chance have I got, seriously, of getting a history post when I have only 1 year's full time experience of teaching history in a school, and 1 year and 2 terms' worth of 'A' level history teaching experience, and the rest of my experience is as a supply teacher for about two years, with breaks, plus a lot of EFL teaching both in the UK and abroad?
    I am currently doing an MA in History at a good university- will that help?
    I'm applying for jobs in the International Sector, the Independent sector and at mainstream schools, too, it's the last category I think where I will be most unlikely to get work.
    I reckon I might get work as a maternity cover teacher or part-time, again, teaching 'A' level in a college somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Russian, I am not Theo but in my opinion you have as much chance as anyone else but you need to ensure that your application is outstanding to get an interview.
    My school recently advertised for a History Teacher and had 70 applicants. The head told us during staff briefing about common mistakes that are made on applications. (There are a lot of temps at my school including myself so think he was trying to help us in our permanent job search)
    He said that the number with spelling or grammatical errors or not addressing the person specification are so common. He said that half of the applications were put to one side with that alone. He also said that with so many quality applications remaining, they then look at the applicants who have something extra or special that they can offer.
    Getting maternity or part time cover work might be the best way to a permanent role. I know that many of the students from my PGCE got in to permanent roles this way.
    My experience at interviews are that schools tend to take teachers with one or two years experience over a NQT. They are still cheap but aren't the extra hassle that NQTs are. Others may disagree with me from their experiences but that is what I have always found.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I would echo the advice about ensuring that your application is technically perfect as well as making sure you address all aspects of the person specification, with good reference to examples from your own experience.
    I also agree that sensible secondary heads do prefer the best candidate to be experienced, largely because (a) NQTs require, in general, a lot of support and (b)they're more inclined to leave within a shorter period of time.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An excellent reply from Georgia! Thank you, that is very helpful.
    Do look at the advice on here - read the shortlisting clickables to give you the basic Do/Don't for applications. Read general advice on job seeking that I gave this poster:
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    And if you live near enough, think about the Win That Teaching Job seminar in 10 days' time - might just give you the edge!
    Oh, and before I forget - read this:
    A quick grammar lesson. :) Another fast way to get your application binned is the inclusion of grammatical errors . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com