1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can the head demand in the way of weekly planning?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gogglehead, Nov 20, 2011.

1. gogglehead

gogglehead New commenter

I have been trying to work out just what heads can demand from us each week. My head is great but my boyfriend (who is a very successful and experienced practitioner) is rapidly becoming ill since joining his new school. He has turned around the worst class in the school and led his team out of being close to jacking it all in, they were bullied by the dep head who led their team last year and now actually LIKE work because of my boyfriend's management style (encouraging and positive) . The head wants planning handing in every week and she wants it done in her format. It is LONG and FAFFY.
    He is so angry and stressed about it I don't think our relationship will stand it as he is utterly miserable all the time and NEVER switches off. I think he's working at least 12 hours a day and all day on Saturday.
    I am at my wits end [​IMG]
    So..... What exactly is acceptable in the way of planning????????????

2. Unfortunately it seems to be anything that the head demands.
    If it is that bad he needs to talk to the head directly about it. Explain how long it takes and how it could be done more easily.

3. Tolchard

Tolchard New commenter

Those of us in the NAWUWT are now working to rule.

That means turning up to work at 8.30, going home at 3.30 and doing NO WORK AT HOME.

No pupils will suffer because of this.

You might want to mention this to your boyfriend.

4. littlerussell, that is a good argument, maybe I should use it with the Head after putting in a 60 hour week!! I will certainly think about the calculations if we do work to rule.

5. In a similar position with TLR2 responsibilities. Only 2 hours per fortnight to do the very many small and largely insignificant jobs involving collating data etc...No time for proper lesson planning, yet supposed to be consistently teaching lessons which are at least good (according to some randomly thought-up criteria) Aaagh!

6. gretel42, hence you and I both still awake at this time!! I have just finished planning a new SOW for me and a colleague to use up to Christmas. Was feeling pretty good, then read some school emails and found I have been put in charge of a new reading intervention and will be going on two days of training so missing three lessons with my group and *** up the continuity of my planning!! Yet another area of responsibility for me to get to grips with - ah joy!!!!

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Think of the money.

8. ...really does sound like your HT is a real bottom hole...I mean when are these people (I say these people because I dont think they understand the meaning of humility) going to realise that we are not sodding robots and would actually work better if we were valued a bit more....when was the last time any of us teachers were really HAPPY being at school...come on be honest

9. Not sure how this can work. If i arrive for work at 8:30 and leave at 3:30 when do i do my planning and when do i do my marking and when do i do make/find my resources?? How can you say that if i don't do those things the children will not suffer?
    I fully agree that we are expected to do far too much - far too detailed planning in many cases, However, i don't think it is unreasonable to work until 5pm 5 days a week for my salary. What i object to is the idea that nothing is good enough.

10. Tolchard

Tolchard New commenter

Working to rule basically means working to your contract. In concrete terms this means (among other things)
    - refusing to do cover lessons
    - not attending any meetings that you are not contractually required to attend (things like post-holders meetings, working parties, standardisation meetings)
    - refusing to submit statistical date on the pupils you teach more than once a year (so, no interim reports, current working levels etc)
    - refusing to perform tasks which are a duplication of other tasks or which are unreasonable for work-life balance ; I think your boyfriend would be in his rights to refuse to submit lessons plans for each class on a weekly basis on these grounds.