1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what can teachers do after teaching???

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Internetstartup, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Hi. I've been teaching Mathematics for fifteen years now and am completely fed up with teaching the same old stuff every year. I'm beginning to think that instead of fifteen years experience I have one year experience doing the same thing fifteen times.
    The problem is I've been thinking this for about five years now but have no idea what to do if I leave. I'm already 40 and I know career changing at his late stage is a hard slog if it is at all possible.

Any ideas?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I like that one (the bit in bold).
    Really, you haven't changed anything you have done in 15 years? You haven't developed yourself careerwise (courses, new initiatives, promotion)?
    No wonder you are bored and frustrated.
    Having got that out of the way, it all depends what your financiual situation is. It's not so much what you do, but whether it will bring you the financial return you need.
    I would like to go to auctions, buy antiques and then sell for profit on ebay, or even open up a small shop. However I dont have the financial backup to cover me if this fails.
    Being a Maths teacher you probably have more options than most. Accountancy? Private Schools?
    I am guessing you are already working overseas, otherwise I would suggest that.
    What is it exactly that you are finding so boring? if you are overseas, perhaps you should be focusing more on your free time and holidays and making more of these.

3. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Swot up your stats and become a Six Sigma Black Belt and earn stash loads of money - it ties in getting knowledge out of people, investigating processes, setting up experiments, doing shed loads of statistics. It involves a good mix of math skills, people skills, coaching and teaching skills. IMHO as a former Black Belt (ah so glasshopper) - you have to reaccredit ever 3 years to ensure you're up to date with your skills and alack a day as I quit the corporate universe 3.5 years ago I am not able to do that now.
    It's very popular in certain parts of the world nowadays
    From my many years of experience in 'the real world' anyone who can calculate a percentage and understand a graph is considered a genius - the real mathematical knowledge and understanding of people in real work place even senior managers is utterly appalling. You cannot underestimate it. I had a bunch of Chief Execs quaking in their boots as I explained the difference between median and mean and why they should be using the former not the latter to assess a particular situation. One of them even put his hand up in the meeting and said 'please miss' :D
    If you can explain a graph that's a brilliant skill too. Many people cannot understand graphs and will NOT tell you! I never let my analysts release a graph into the wild without writing 3 bullet points on it about why it was interesting.

4. Shuffle purposelessly around the house in baggy trousers and beat up slippers? Spend time on internet forums banging on about Clovis?Paint genitalia in soft pastel shades?

5. Someone's been sharing my dreams.... [​IMG]
    But you forgot the beer. [​IMG]

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Write books. Restore an old far house. Prune olive trees, Train a chamber choir from scratch and

7. Mainwaring

A far house, true, but also a farm house. I must of made a typo.

8. I'm going to have to bale you out again when someone bites....

9. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

After teaching, you could try preparing online training courses for Cambridge. You would most probably be earning shedloads of money and it really requires very little intelligence, integrity, imagination or anything else beginning with the letter "i". Of course most teachers do not learn anything they did not already know from garbage like the CIPP, but that would not be your problem.

10. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

You teach maths; re-train in English. It's not like in maths they invent a new number, but the texts are endless - at least they are in Oz.

11. Mainwaring

Quite right. Anybody who can speak English can teach it. If fact there are quite a few teaching it who can't even do that.

12. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

What you could do, of course, is apply to the TES and become a moderator for forums like this one. In order to justify your inflated salary, all you will have to do is to delete some posts from time to time. Just make sure that you delete ones that were written by teachers who are trying to warn others because they have been cheated, bullied, swindled, lied to etc. For example, if you get a post written by a lady whose husband died while they were teaching at a school in Nigeria, just press the delete key because no one will want to read about how the school board did nothing to help her. However, do not delete any posts written by Mainwaring, no matter how many tedious references he makes to Clovis (whoever he is or was and who cares anyway?)
    On the other hand, I think that the OP mentioned that he teaches Maths. This probably means that he has a brain, so maybe the idea of becoming a TES moderator is not such a good one after all.

13. stopwatch

14. Only possibly, not probably.

15. Mainwaring

Wrong advice, I'm afraid. To qualify as the merest tyro moderator you'll need to delete whole threads by Mainwaring, and not only on the subject of Him Whom We Must Not Name. (However hard he toots on his trumpet don't assume that the hippo is the forum's only thick-skinned animal with a social conscience).

16. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Can't agree that just because someone teaches maths they are anything special in the 'brain' department; although the moderator suggestion is appealling.

Some ideas for career after teaching:

1. follow in the footsteps of those fine Eatern european chaps who paint themselves in silver paint and stand on the Thames embankment all day long waiting for dim tourists to put cash in their hats; no experiecne necessary

2. forego all worldly goods (after 15 years teaching I guess that amounts to a couple of buttons and a used kleenex) and take up work as a budhist monk. No skills necessary, just wander around 'looking' meaningful and wise

17. Mainwaring

Like SMT, then? (but you forgot the clipboard).

18. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Abso-bloody-lutely. It's what I base my management style on. I'm going to look into your suggestion of including a clipboard; super idea sir!

19. stopwatch

I love clipboards, they're brilliant! I take mine everywhere.
    (and I'm not SMT) [​IMG]