1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can seven year olds do?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by ArtistS4, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I'm intrigued to know what sort of art seven year olds can produce. I know someone who would like me to tutor their seven year old (to give him guidance with his drawing). Can anyone help please? I have taught art to early years and run an art group for teenagers but I've never worked with a primary aged child!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. I think as always, it depends on the level of talent! 7 years old would be year 2/3. Children in that age group are very capable of using different techniques & media.
    You mention it would be for guidance with drawing specifically. I have found that more repetition is required for techniques to really be taken on board. Also, choose your subject carefully; children of this age often want to draw cartoon characters repeatedly if given a choice. Attention span can sometimes be a problem, hence drawing a bowl of fruit may not appeal for long.
    Hope some of that has been useful!
    www.purplecateducation.com

3. i fall in the same category too. can someone please help me oout with concept on taking kids out for art excurssions

4. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. I will be meeting the child tomorrow for our first tutoring session. What I worry about the most is not being able to judge whether he is exceptionally good, average or below average! I think I'll be able to tell if he is below average. I don't suppose anyone has a drawing they could show me that was drawn by a 'typical/average' 7 year old?