1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can popular fictional heroines really teach girls about making decisions in real life?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 29, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

If you are looking to offer your female pupils a decisive and strong figure to aspire to then popular fiction could be the first place to start your search.

A leading education academic believes that more teachers need to look at heroines such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Katniss from the The Hunger Games or Hermione in Harry Potter to teach girls about the proactive roles that women can play in society.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ls-be-more-buffy-and-less-bella-academic-says

But do you agree with Professor Christine Jarvis? Are you an advocate of the use of popular modern fiction in the classroom and can it really be used to teach important life lessons?

Would it be better to show female and male students real-life role models that they can relate to and aspire to be?

2. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Both approaches have their place as tools for this purpose and for all genders
    I would respectfully submit that a study of more ordinary character both in fiction and real life are also important as both an inspiration and a reality check.
    But I'm not a highly paid professor so I doubt that my views have any news value

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I think, given the Aberdeen killing yesterday, it was a crass error of TES to publish this article suggesting that we should urge girls to be more like fictional 'heroines' who navigate their narratives on the edges of swords and knives while preferring instead not, as far as I can see, to report this tragedy.

4. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

Personally I would prefer my Crabettes to have real life models rather than those in fiction - or maybe even none at all looking round at the ones available in both fiction and real life right now.

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Wait, TES did report the Aberdeen stabbing:

[​IMG]

Shame about the Breaking news.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Katniss is the least "proactive" heroine since Tess.
    A bit of self-sacrifice, some maundering after a boy, passive acceptance of having to do the whole bloody thing again and utter incomprehension in the face of mockingjay badges. Not my idea of a role model.

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

"A leading education academic"

I wonder what they know that I don't?

9. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Qualifications: BA(Hons), PGCE, MA, PhD, FHEA?

Might be relevant ;)

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What sort of society? One that is populated by vampires or other supernatural creatures? Will these unknown academics stop at nothing in their quest to get their names in the press and become famous?

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

One that has a female admiral perhaps?;)

Lascarina likes this.