1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I tell them?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ramjam, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

For yet another year I have a holiday task.
    2 schools, 3 parents, 3 children, 3 useful phrases on reports
    ... really enjoys creating things...
    ...shows repect for other people's beliefs...
    ... was keen to share her knowledge about the seaside
    3 requests for me to tutor over the holidays because the children have poor letter formation don't write, are just beginning to read cvc words securely and had made little progress from their baseline scores according to the feedback. Quote about progress in maths "doesn't look much because they already knew numbers to 20 at the start of the year"
    Their start of year scores were above average, though not outstanding but some examples of progress for the 3 are 6 points, 8 points 9 points or highest 13 points over maths and reading.
    My finances are grateful but I don't really know what to say to the parents by way of explanation.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You could point them in the direction of some dotted letters [​IMG]

3. So sad that these children are having to continue to be schooled during the holiday, when they need a rest and some fun family time.
    Are you being sarcastic when you say the comments on the reports are helpful? I believe they are helpful, because most parents would be interested in finding out about their children's preferences, interests, communication skills and respect for others. As for the children's start of the year scores - most nursery teachers would be horrified to know that their observations of children were being used to create scores and targets. In addition, the accuracy of any 'scoring' would be highly questionable if it came from a non-school setting (were they scored on the profile at the end of nursery? Not necessary and probably not desirable). That child who could count to 20 at the beginning of the year - was that with one-to-one correspondence, counting 20 objects out from a larger group?
    Is letter formation everything? Presumably these children have just finished reception. I would advise parents to buy a cheap handwriting workbook from Smiths for occasional handwriting practice.

4. Msz

You've totally lost me on the 13 point progress. Are you adding scores together?

5. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

They do a computer based baseline and follow up. You can get marks from zero to over 50 at the start of the year and the end scores are given for comparison and also standardised.
    I agree with the comment that children should have summer free to play, but the parents who asked me to tutor think that's what they've done all year and if I don't tutor, they'd get someone else.
    Parents I've done this for always feedback the praise they have had from teachers for their children starting Y1 without having forgotten everything they'd learnt.
    I enjoy it, and so do the children surprisingly enough because they see it as something new.

6. Is it pips?

7. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Yes.

8. Msz

Surely the ASPECTS / PIPS provides an alpha numeric level