1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can i say to her?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jet786, Jun 11, 2011.

1. I may have a little bit of a problem as i just received an email from a parent of a student in my class who wants me too meet a good friend of hers, aka set me up....
    She is a really nice lady and was polite in the email and all, but I am unsure how to handle this especially in terms of being professional and all that....If I did and things went south then what? should i just decline? inappropriate?
    Any advice?[​IMG]
    (posted this in dilemmas too...but i think might get more honest answers here [​IMG] )

2. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Given my own recent experience at the hands of "friendly" Tes'ers, I still have to ask, how did they get your personal e-mail?
    And all else aside, teacher/parent I'd decline!xx

3. Was work email, not personal.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Politely decline.
    If necessary point out in basic terms the professional implications and say you have spoken to an SMT member who has advised you against it.
    There are too many potential pitfalls.

5. I agree there are a lot of pitfalls in this.

6. imho that is a singularly weird thing to do.
    tell them that.
    Can`t you get a man, then?

7. Dear Matchmaker, thank you for your kind thoughts but I'm afraid I can't take you up on your offer.

8. Avoid. Too many pitfalls as others say.

9. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Why so rude? The OP doesn't mention either desire or ability to "get a man" and this is irrelevant to the dilemma anyway.

OP, I agree with the others. Politely decline, saying sorry but you are unavailable and would prefer to keep your personal life entirely separate from school. If she's sensible, she'll understand.

10. I dont really get the dilemma, to be honest.
    I would be very annoyed that a parent thought my love life was any of their business. I would reply telling them so in a professional way, print it out as evidence incase any issues came of it, and get on with my life.
    Surely you cant be that tempted? Go out and about and find someone instead.

11. Does "the friend" know that this parent has tried to fix the pair of you up?

12. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Right. This could be of vital importance. Did she send a picture of the friend?
    [​IMG]

13. I have no ide on that one and in response to another comment I don't want a man because I am one...maybe i should have specified that the fix up is with a female friend.
    Not a case of being desperate more a case of being diplomatic.