1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I live on in Buenos Aires?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by coconut15, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have searched high and low on this forum and was looking for some more up to date information on just how much you can live on in Buenos Aires.

Being new to the international game I understand that working in the sector is not just "a get quick rich scheme" and if this was my preference I would opt for Saudi!

A respectable ( I hope) school is starting to show interest in my application and after reading the literature sent , it appears that the "average wage" they would offer would be around the 7-8000 peso mark per month. This is in addition to the usual package of housing, health care, a pension contribution and a small sterling supplement.

From a career point of view I feel that the move would certainly be conducive and benefit me in several ways, however the "sensible" side of me is a tad worried. My worries are not directly about the move and language barrier etc but more of the nature of finance.

Would this offer bring a standard of living similar to a teacher with several years experience in the UK?
    Would it be easy to save and have money incase of an emergency eg flight back to the UK?

Any thoughts / experience of life in BA would be warmly welcomed!

Thanks!

2. Hi,

I have searched high and low on this forum and was looking for some more up to date information on just how much you can live on in Buenos Aires.

Being new to the international game I understand that working in the sector is not just "a get quick rich scheme" and if this was my preference I would opt for Saudi!

A respectable ( I hope) school is starting to show interest in my application and after reading the literature sent , it appears that the "average wage" they would offer would be around the 7-8000 peso mark per month. This is in addition to the usual package of housing, health care, a pension contribution and a small sterling supplement.

From a career point of view I feel that the move would certainly be conducive and benefit me in several ways, however the "sensible" side of me is a tad worried. My worries are not directly about the move and language barrier etc but more of the nature of finance.

Would this offer bring a standard of living similar to a teacher with several years experience in the UK?
    Would it be easy to save and have money incase of an emergency eg flight back to the UK?

Any thoughts / experience of life in BA would be warmly welcomed!

Thanks!

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Here's a fairly recent site:
    http://exposebuenosaires.com/cost-of-living-in-buenos-aires/
    But the economic and current exchange situations are so volatile that you need first-hand information from people on the ground, now.
    Ex-pat teachers have usually lived very well, the exceptions being moments of total raving loony economic meltdown (making the Greeks look like amateurs) in 1988 and 2001. I was in the first of these, a memorable time.
    Don't touch that sterling allowance. Put it to work for the future, along with savings (there should be some) from the peso salary. While also travelling widely and living high on the hog, Mrs D. and I were pretty good about this during 13 years in South America, and for that reason we're facing genteel poverty, rather than utter penury, when retirement comes.
    But as the Tango says, 'no me quitan el bailado' - 'they can't take away the dances I've danced' and Mrs D and I would not regret our time in Bs. As. even if we had returned as paupers.

4. Thanks for the reply! Certainly food for thought! Bs As looks more and more amazing the more I look at it ,I just wish that I was at the latter end of my career and had money saved from previous international employment before being presented with this opportunity! Lots to think about.........................

5. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

This in addition to SMT dude's reply is a very good reason to take the job if they offer it to you. You want to go to BA, that's clear. There is no "right end" of your career - if money becomes necessary you can make it any time.

6. I called my sources (thanks Mom!) and the link provided by SMTDude seems to be fairly accurate (at least in relation to how much it costs to eat out in Buenos Aires). So even though the prices are from May 2010, at least the cost of a meal has not changed too much. If you want more info, I can give her another call and ask for any specific costs/prices you might be interested in. Let me know...
    She also mentioned that 7000-8000 pesos is doable with housing included, but you won't be rolling in dough, especially if you like to go out a lot. So if you decide to go, make sure it's for the experience and not necessarily the cash.
    On a different note, I have to second the opinion that Buenos Aires is a great, although not perfect, destination. There's something for everyone and if you're even the tiniest bit social you will find yourself out and about at all hours of the day/night.

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Should you be fortunate enough to earn 8,000 plus housing, be sure to 'dress down' when you venture near the Boca Juniors football stadium. Otherwise, you will excite the resentful and predatory wrath of the low-life bosteros.
    To pass unnoticed and unmolested, I'd suggest looking something like this:
    [​IMG]

8. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

So stereotypical, dude! Argentinian footballers don't all have long hair.

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter