1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I freeze????

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by seriouslikecrazy, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Thanks for that, some interesting ideas. Like the sound of a few of the recipes.
    Just got 3 pies in the freeezer :)

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My understanding would be no. Freeze the cake. Take it out and defrost it, then ice it.
    I always have a stack of boxes of bolognaise, chilli, stew and soup in the freezer. It means that we can have a varied diet but I only need to cook once or twice a week.

3. For soups - if you make the soup much thincker than normally when you come to reheat it just put ina pan, boil a kettle and add boiling water - makes soup much quicker.

BTW you can also freeze breast milk if you have any spare.

Pies freeze really well, I make the pie but don't bake it, freeze it unbaked and then you can cook from frozen. The same goes for lasagne - cook the sauce, assemble and then freeze.
    Some of the basic 'fridge food' freeze well, such as cheese and milk, I don't drink cow's milk but keep some in the fridge for guests.
    Herbs can freeze well - corriander wrapped in newspaper freezes well, it is no good to thaw out as fresh corriander but once frozen you can crumble it directly into stews / curry.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I froze things like cottage pies in disposable foil trays - cuts down on washing up. Life is too short, especially when you have such a precious bundle to care for.

5. Thanks all. I have my frozen trays at the ready and Have made a couple of pies which are nicly frozen and some spare pastry should I want to make more. Going to buy a few more tryas and then have a big cook off I think.
    Herb tip was useful, didn't know that. I tend to buy fresh herbs and waste a lot of them so I'll try that one out.

6. Iced cakes will feeze well.
    As mentioned earlier almost everything on your original list will freeze.
    Good luck with the baby! [​IMG]