1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I do with the leftover cooking liquid from ham?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SleighBelle, Dec 24, 2015.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I've boiled my gammon in a mixture of cloudy apple juice, cloudy cider and a touch of water, with a clove-studded onion, three cloves of garlic and two bay leaves. The ham is now waiting to be glazed and baked and looks, smells and tastes delicious.

What on earth can I do with this cooking liquor? Nigella Lawson added a footnote to her Coca-Cola ham, for cooks to reserve the liquid but doesn't say what to do with it. Any bright ideas?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Post the question on Cookery and you'll get an inspirational answer. As for me - down the sink, life's too short. The ham sounds wonderful, enjoy :)

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'd make soup

cissy3 likes this.
  4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Swig it. All in one.

rouxx, cissy3 and kibosh like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Soup - although it might be a bit salty depending on the ham.

Lara mfl 05 and cissy3 like this.
  6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Aye, but once you add all the ingredients . . .I was more concerned about the cloves
    edited to add: cloves from the clove studded onion

InkyP likes this.
  7. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

How about down the plughole?

I'm just jealous.
    I've never cooked a ham and it sound delicious.
    All that hammy succulency in chunks.

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Don't pour it down the sink, when it cools and solidifies it could block the drains.

One option is to let it solidify and put it outside for the wild birds, its a superb source of fat and therefore energy for them.

cissy3 likes this.
  9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Could you use potato to thicken, and absorb some of the saltiness?

Anyway, it all sounds delicious!

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Strain the cooking liquor, discarding the onion, garlic and bay leaves. Boil steadily over a high heat to reduce until the flavour is strong but not too salty. Melt 50g unsalted butter in a small saucepan, stir in 50g plain flour and cook, stirring, for one minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in half pint of milk. Strain the cooking liquor and gradually stir 500ml into the sauce. Return to the heat, bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 heaped tbsp wholegrain mustard to taste and season with pepper.

Serve the sauce with the ham.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    RedQuilt and kibosh like this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Reserving it makes it sound like a book in a library or a ticket in the theatre. I'd jack it down the sink. But then I only cook my gammon in water. How plain am I?

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree you need to watch out for the saltiness, but like the suggestion above.
    Also try adding some honey to counteract the saltiness and use as a base of a soup or nomads' suggestion of a sauce.

13. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Pour the alcohol of your choice into a big glass.

Drink that and throw the hammy juice away.

rouxx likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It would be a crime not to use it to make soup with. It will be salty, but you can remove some of the salt by cooking the potatoes for your Christmas dinner in it before you roast them. Carrots too. In fact after you've done that, it will be good stock for carrot soup.

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Great idea DoY!

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Am I the only one who wants to try some of the ham? ... oh no lindenlea and showergel are with me.

17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Merry Christmas everyone (test)

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Happy Christmas everyone.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not sure I'd put it out for the birds, they'll be totally rat*****

20. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I usually put split yellow peas and make pea n ham soup. Do you think I could find the dried peas on Christmas Eve? I cut up potato and leeks and added it along with butter beans.
    But I bring the ham to the boil then replace the water to stop it being too salty. Don't add lots of flavourings apart from mustard seeds and pepper corns. Then I roasted it in gin and marmalade. The gin was my idea. I don't think you can have enough gin?

Duke of York likes this.