1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can i do to improve my chances?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by cluckcarter, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi
    I applied at the start of September for the PGCE Primary Course, however i was unsuccessful for both of my uni choices. If i explain a little about my position:
    I have a 2:2 Tourism Management degree. Elements of this are related to the National Curriculum but not a great deal
    I am in the process of retaking my GCSE Maths as i have only got a Grade D
    I have done after school clubs as well as holiday clubs
    I am currently help out at Rainbows/Brownies on a Wednesday night
    I have 2 weeks of expreience in a local primary school
    I am just looking for a little bit of advice really as to the best course of action to take. I have been on this forum before and Secondary Geography has been suggested to me but this is not where my passion lies, also my degree does not contain enough Geography to pursue this route anyway. I have been applying for TA jobs to improve my chances but as of yet i have had no joy. Would it be worth taking an A level in English or soemthing to make up for my degree? Or is it worth me trying to get some more experience to make up for my degree?

Apologies for the rant but i feel a little stuck at the moment

Claire x

2. Hi
    I applied at the start of September for the PGCE Primary Course, however i was unsuccessful for both of my uni choices. If i explain a little about my position:
    I have a 2:2 Tourism Management degree. Elements of this are related to the National Curriculum but not a great deal
    I am in the process of retaking my GCSE Maths as i have only got a Grade D
    I have done after school clubs as well as holiday clubs
    I am currently help out at Rainbows/Brownies on a Wednesday night
    I have 2 weeks of expreience in a local primary school
    I am just looking for a little bit of advice really as to the best course of action to take. I have been on this forum before and Secondary Geography has been suggested to me but this is not where my passion lies, also my degree does not contain enough Geography to pursue this route anyway. I have been applying for TA jobs to improve my chances but as of yet i have had no joy. Would it be worth taking an A level in English or soemthing to make up for my degree? Or is it worth me trying to get some more experience to make up for my degree?

Apologies for the rant but i feel a little stuck at the moment

Claire x

3. I think that you have to contact various universities to see what their criteria or policy is on non related national curriculum degrees. I'm not really sure whether taking an A level English would make up for a degree somehow?

4. have you contacted the Universities to ask for feedback on why your application was unsuccessful? This may give you an indication of what section of your application needs strengthening for next time.

5. The first one said that it was due to me not having a C in Maths, even though i was told they accept pending results. The second one said it was due to me not having a degree in a National Curriculum subject. I just thought that maybe an A level might help me some how not necessarily make up for my degree (sorry if i wrote that wrong previously). I think my best option might be to get my C at Maths then re-apply.

Claire x

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Primary is a very competitive course and there are several things I would say are not in your favour at the moment:
    a) non-curriculum subject degree
    b) 2:2 degree result (providers prefer 2:1 or above)
    c) no C at GCSE Maths - you are retaking it, but there's not guarantee you will get the grade
    d) only two weeks experience in a primary school

I think the best thing you can do is to gain more experience in school, as this will demonstrate your passion and dedication towards the teaching profession. Keep applying for TA jobs, but if you continue to have no luck, more volunteering is the way forward. Perhaps you can rearrange your current work hours to give you one day or one morning in school each week? Long term commitment in a school is good because it gives you the chance to reflect on the way children's learning develops over time.

7. Many thanks for your advice. I am retaking my GCSE Maths so i am going to concentrate on that as it may improve my chances. Also i am going to continue applying for TA jobs and also maybe Nursery Nurse jobs in order to get on an Early Years PGCE Course

Claire

8. Hi Claire
    I was in your position just over a year ago. I didn't have Science GCSE and was rejected out of hand by both universities just as you were. I think they get so many applications that any that don't tick all the boxes up front are immediately binned.

Anyway, I took a GCSE equivalency course and passed and have spent more time in school over the course of last year. And this time around I got offered a PGCE place and a GTP place and have a second GTP interview this week (I'm keeping my options open until funding gets sorted).
    So, if primary is your dream, do the Maths course, spend as much time in school as you can and re-apply next time around. My degree was in Sociology which is not on the NC either and it never came up once!
    Good luck!
    Clive

9. Hi Clive

Many thanks for your post, i am now going to concentrate on getting my C at Maths. You have restored my faith that i can get into primary teaching even if my degree isn't in a NC subject

Thank you once again

Claire