1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I do instead of teaching?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by excitableashell, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Hi there!

If you look along the recent threads you will see the one I started say pretty much the same thing as you. I ahve been teaching 7 years but not longer have the same drive and energy to do it. I am stressed and anxious and worried about the financial costs. I too am looking around for other work so I know how you feel. I almost feel 'insitutionalised' by teaching that I dont see how I can do anything else.

I would love to know how you get on

hugs xxx

2. Thank you SO much to all the previous posters. I'd love to know if any of you have managed to escape yet!
    Like many others, I am absolutely fed up of having no life, feeling permanently stressed and as if I am trying to run up a downward esculator... stop running for a few seconds and end up back at the bottom again! As fast as I do one job three more are added and I never feel as if I can get on top of things. The difficulty when I feel like this is that it becomes so difficult to find the energy to look at any alternatives.

The worst part of it for me is that I actually LOVE being in the classroom with the children! I have been teaching 26 years now and KNOW if I could just get on with things in my own way I could do a great job and inspire a large proportion of the children I teach (as I used to)! When I think back to how much I enjoyed teaching (and, without being tooooo conceited, *smile* what a good job I was able to do) without the NC, LS, NS, target setting, performance management, paperwork, etc etc etc, I could weep.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that the children I taught 20 years ago did at least as well, if not better, than the children I am teaching now (even though I now work in a much more privileged setting).

I've tried teaching in independent schools (thought there might be more flexibility and less paperwork than the maintained sector) but actually it's even worse! I'd love to get into educational publishing (many of my colleagues tell me my worksheet designs should be published) and this thread has given me a bit of a kick to explore some avenues. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be very grateful.

If it helps I am in my late forties and need to earn at least 25K to pay the mortgage!

3. Hi

I have been teaching English for 15 years in several Secondary schools and though it has been challenging at times, I have enjoyed the experience. However, I need to leave teaching as it's driving me totally doolalley now! I am tired all the time and feel as though there is always something stopping me from doing my job. (New initiatives, pupil behaviour, workload,more pupil behaviour...) I just want my life back basically and I want to be healthy again; this is now a priority.

I think I have so many talents; I'm brilliant at my job (When allowed to be)and think I'm an excellent communicator/manager. However,I feel as if I have been in the classroom so long, that employers wouldn't look twice at me as I have no other experience other than teaching.

I live in Oxfordshire, so OUP is a definite draw. However, when I look at the adverts, I don't seem to fit. I keep thinking that I would be great in editing, publishing or marketing but I don't have qualifications or relevant experience.

How do I convince companies to serioulsy consider me with just teaching as my only experience?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks...

4. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

Getting out of teaching could be near for me. I applied to be a staff officer in Northern Ireland Civil Service / Northern Ireland Office and have aptitude tests on 11th Feb - yikes. Only the top 5% make it to interview stage so fingers crossed for then.

What other things are people applying to? I'm also looking into education officer jobs at museums etc.

5. I am in the same boat as a lot of people here. The stresses of teahing amongst other things have affected my health and i'm now off sick with anxiety and stress.

i am currently trying to get my school to allow me to work part time. My plan is then in the time this frees up to retrain as a counsellor. Financially it will be difficult but I think it will be worth it. Teaching and counselling go well together and counselling can offer lots of didderent avenues.

I want to better myself but not by moving upwards within a school so I figured adding another string to my bow was a good alternative

Abbys

6. yme

yme

good luck abby - have you got occupational health to help you with the part time option?

7. Hello - don't know if this will help but can tell you my story.

I am 49 years old - 50 this year :)

Taught for 26 years in FE followed by a number of secondary scools. Had various roles including HOF for 3 departments.

Had my 2nd child at 36 and went back to work within 6 weeks. Felt like I was on a treadmill ever since. Ended up 6 years ago in an academy in the Midlands and was utterly miserable - I was earning good money, we had a lovely 6 bed house and on the outside everything looked good.

Finally decided enough was enough and took a drastic step - sold the house (at a loss!!) and moved abroad. I now teach in a fabulous school in SE Asia with the most wonderful kids - it is an absolute joy to be in the classroom with them. My youngest daughter came with me and is experiencing an amazing education - far better than she had in the UK.

Everything is not perfect - we still have an SMT with imperfections although they are not tied to the UK government initiatives so life is easier. My husband is still in the UK - hoping to join us for good in Jan 2009 - and my eldest daughter also lives in the UK so don't see as much of her as I'd like.

When we made the initial decision to make this move I have to say I was terrified and worried that no-one would want me at my age. What I found was that my experience was valued and I ended up being able to choose my destination.

We now have the most amazing lifestyle and the future looks great. OK so we don't own property in the UK - but we don't have the worry of a mortgage either :)

8. Thanks to all the previous posters! It's great to hear some success stories, and stories of impending success!

I'm in my NQT year, and already looking to leave- this job just isn't for me. I haven't a clue what to look for instead, though.

I've been keeping an eye on the Space Centre in Leicester, as well as education officer-type jobs in museums etc, but there doesn't seem to be much around. I'd love to work in a field that allowed me to share my passion for maths and science with people who really wanted me to, rather than my current job in which I feel like I have to force it down their unwilling (and ungrateful) throats.

I'd be interested to hear from any mathematicians who have left teaching (or in the process of leaving) and what they have gone on to!

9. Hi to all who have posted - i have been a teacher for 7 years ... for the past four in the same school. Really loved what i did and wouldnt have changed it for the world ... even with the added pressures. However, for past two years have been, what can only be described as, bullied by my head of department. Decided not to take it lying down and stood up to him ... only for him to become worse! Fell pregnant with my daughter and decided to go part time in September as would still keep in teaching but would have little to do with him. Not to be ... little incidents since October, an Ofsted visit and then a misunderstanding whereby he got into trouble with head - and i finally went on sick with stress and anxiety ... seeing a counsellor. Feel sick each time i think of going back to school and even though i love being in the classroom, my experience with him has put me off.

I've been stressing about what i could and would do and feel better for having read the other posts. Thank you

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Belgiangirl-I'm in the same position as you. I loved my job until I got bullied. I am fighting it, but I don't know if I will ever be able to walk through those doors again.

I keep looking for other jobs, but my confidence has been shattered.

11. I haven't read all this thread but have posted many times on this topic. I was a teacher but hadn't returned full time since having my children; they are now 21 & 18!! However four years ago I started working as a Connexions personal Adviser, I love my job and look forward to going into work! I still work in schools but it is bliss not to be 'a teacher'. Do a search on TES and you will find quite a few posts from me.

12. I was a teacher and now I work in a completely different profession. I wrote an advice guide on my blog a while ago that is based on the research I did when choosing what to do. You might find it useful, Top Ten Careers To Try After Teaching

13. I am really looking for a way out of teaching so I can live happily and pay the bills. I am working once a week in marketing. I hope it leads to something. other days I do supply through an agency.