1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I do instead of teaching?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by excitableashell, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Hi excitableashell
    I can understand that you are wary- that is a huge amount of money. I just wanted you to know that there is help out there - as someone who has changed careers from being in teaching, plus working outside of teaching too, I do have quite a broad perspective. There are coaches and coaches- some are unscrupulous as in any profession. My fees are within a range suggested by the Association for Coaching,to which I belong, and I have to work within their code of ethics. I also work alongside an employment psychologist at a Job Centre helping people. However, just to make a point, any investment made in career coaching, or counselling, has to be put into perspective-some people quite happily spend £500+ on a holiday, or on their car each year,on gym subscriptions, or on clothes or entertainment, - but when it comes to something like changing careers or dealing with something really important, it is seen as self-indulgent or a luxury. (That point is NOT aimed at you, it is a general observation!)
    There are load of careers you could change to, far too many to discuss here, but if I were coaching you- theoretically, I'd take you back to your core values- and work from there. Such as, what is most important to you in life, can you afford to re-train, what gives you a buzz, what is your dream job- and work from there.
    I would genuinely love to help anyone with a career change. My heart is very much engaged in my work, but I need to pay my mortgage too and can only let you know that such a service exists and if you are interested , well, just get in touch. Really good luck with it all.

2. Just so there is no misunderstanding- my coaching does not cost £500- I just used that figure as an example! BTW if anyone does browse my website, you need to use Internet Explorer, as Mozilla and Firefox don't show the images.

3. janemk

janemk New commenter

Exciteableashell,

Counselling is available free on the NHS as paradoxicalgirly and I have both experienced. Unfortunately some areas don't have enough resources and therefore it ends up that only those with severe mental health illnesses, as you say, are even considered for it. In a different area, you would have got it.

And they wonder why people end up having breakdowns. They are starting to see that offering counselling as an alternative means to solving even moderate anxiety/stress disorders saves no end of problems in the future and are supposedly taking on 5000 more counsellors in the next 5 years. Unfortunately they haven't got to your area yet.

So, given that you are a teacher, approach your LEA counselling service. You are entitled to 6 free sessions (which is all you would get on the NHS anyway). You could also phone teacherline, which is manned by trained counsellors and they help with all kinds of life problems, not just those related to teaching.

08000 562 561 in England 08000 855 088 in Wales
    www.teachersupport.info

And next time you see your doctor, tell them they bloody well should be offering counselling to people whose anxiety is bad enough to be causing them physical problems. It makes me mad!

4. janemk

janemk New commenter

Just had another thought on the careers advice front - many universities will offer their ex-students free advice through their careers services years after you've left. It might be worth asking them.

5. Reading your message on 1st January was like reading about exactly how I am have been feeling about teaching for about 2 years now even although I've only been primary teaching since November 2001. Luckily life hasn't been too bad for the past 18 months as I was covering a maternity leave in a Phonological Unit which meant I was teaching one to one and only focusing on children's language difficulties due to having phonological disorders. I absolutely loved that but had to leave at end of October. Now I am still off sick as I am avoiding going back into the classroom which fills me with horror. Anytime I had to step in and cover for absences etc I hated it. It's having to teach ALL subjects that I hate so I don't completely hate teaching therefore I am hoping to get into to Support for Learning and start by getting on a twilight course at Easter time. Before primary teaching I worked in adult education for 13 years and also taught in Further Education colleges all of which I got a lot of job satisfaction from. In the classroom I only get stressed out and want to flee out the door. I saw a job recently in a Women's Library project working in Adult Literacy and Numeracy. These type of jobs are occasionally advertised in LEAs. Wherever you live, make sure you read on a weekly basis jobs advertised through good newspapers, you'll surprise yourself at how many jobs you could go for. As a teacher you have so many skills that are transferrable. I hope this has helped in some way. It has helped me knowing that I am not alone in my plan to find an escape route!! Good luck!

6. hope you get this....your best plan first is to get it from your dr that you are too ill to continue teaching and retire on ill health grounds, that way you can access your pension now which could be worth around £400 a month you won't be able to be a teacher again unless you lose yr pension but its worth it....good luck

7. janemk

janemk New commenter

Highly unlikely plan though, seeing as doctor doesn't even consider her ill enough to get counselling! And if she went straight into teaching after uni, she'll only be about 30 now! Wouldn't it jeopardise other potential careers to retire from something on ill health grounds, especially at such a young age?!

8. An interesting plan Biggles but as Janemk replied to you it seems a bit drastic for me to be retiring on ill health grounds at the age of 28. I would fear that it would be on my employment record and jeopardise any future career plans I want to try and make.
    I am grateful to everybody's input on here and am also pleased to hear I am not the only one to be going through this.
    I think my goal is to somehow survive the next 2 terms (I've given up asking my Dr for advice and support!) and in that time seek professional advice on what I can do next. I am in the process of trying to contact Next Step.
    It has been interesting to hear some of the career choices people have made after they quit the classroom but they seem to be a subsidary of the education world. Although they proabably wouldn't frequent this website I would be interested to know if there are people who have totally gone outside the domain of education. What other jobs are there out there to do? I feel I need a complete break from teaching and school life, I need a fresh start!

9. hear hear!!!

one ex-teacher I know, admittedly a while back, left after two years and got a PR type job and is doing brilliantly....the thing is...what appeals???

good luck

10. Earlier in this thread you asked "I was wondering if there were any other teachers or non-teachers out there who have success stories or any other suggestions I could follow. Any and all advice very helpful!" I was a teacher for 28 years and switched to a completely different area of work. Successfully? Yes, in some ways. Anyway, I think I can offer a different perspective on this topic and so I am putting together a free pdf file. Should be ready in about a week. It's not possible to put all the information and opinions in one post, so a pdf should be better. I think this is an important line to follow - stories about people who have left teaching, and what they have found out about the process.

11. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Ever think of teaching abroad?

12. I work in educational publishing and often find I lose out on jobs to people with teaching experience. Companies such as Scholastic do recruit from the education sector and like people with real teaching experience. They even run a 'guest editor' scheme allowing teachers to edit a copy of one of their magazines, which works as a sort of 'taster' to see whether you like it, and might give you an idea! I wanted to do it, but as a non-teacher I couldn't. You can choose whether to work with Nursery Ed, Child Ed or Junior Ed.

http://www.scholastic.co.uk/magazines/guest-editors.htm

Of course, in advertising this to you I am just creating more competition for the jobs I want! Maybe I shouldn't hit submit... nah, I'm not that mean!

13. I'm in the same boat as you all, i'm leaving at the end of the year and I don't know what to do. Although I am excited about leaving, the thought of not having a clue what to do scares me.

14. entertheflagon...looking forward to your tips and tales...many thanks...

fairynuff...I look at those ads but naturally think that publishers want publishing types rather than education people...thanks fo rthe tip...and good luck...

15. After many months of misery, I got a job writing elearning materials and I now do a bit of freelance copywriting on the side. I've not really been stressed or depressed in the same way since. I found my job in the Guardian. There are lots of great jobs in there.

16. It's great isn't it karatecat!

17. I had no idea that work could be so enjoyable, relaxed and (almost) stress free!!
    I'd recommend it to anyone. Today is actually one of my rare days in the office so I'm not doing my usual sitting in my pyjamas (maybe in bed) working on the laptop! :)

18. Boing and Snowboarder

I work for Connexions (but not for long), but sadly being made redundant soon. Most Connexions partnerships are going through/will be going through in 2007/2008 a big shake up, so due to displaced staff there probably wont be any vacancies for a while. I came out of teaching and dont regret a minute, sadly might have to supply until I find something I want, but at least I know I can do other things. Have a look in the TES on Fridays under other, usually lots of jobs in the LA's especially now, funding for new iniatives usually starts in April - good luck

19. Thanks for the advice SundayGirl, I had heard that Connexions was turning into Children's Trusts or something but thought it wouldn't affect them. Are they making redundancies then or just not taking on new staff? And are contracts generally for a year subject to funding, i.e. is there much job security?

20. I left teaching after 32 years in the job. Had an illness that basically meant that teaching was too physically demanding for me.

I had numerous sickness reviews and found both the LEA and my school extremely helpful. The LEA was willing to take me on as was my school (under the 24 tasks), and I joined the admin team at my school.

The money is less(a lot) but I am now in a less stressful job, enjoying it again and away from sources of influenza and colds. (I used to have two a year, one all summer and one all winter.)

There is life after the classroom. I know someone running a book shop, another went into insurance and another opened a nursery,

As a teacher you have a lot of life skills, people management skilss and the ability to think on your feet. Most of us have computer skills, are able to read and write fluently and spell corectly most of the time. Younger ones are educated to degree standard. Employers are out there looking for you.