1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I do about carpet partners that won't chat to anyone?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cactusstorm, Sep 11, 2016.

1. cactusstorm

cactusstorm New commenter

I have my Year 2 class sat on the carpet in set places (mixed-ability purposes) during the input. Every time I ask for them to share ideas with their carpet partner there are a large number of children who will sit their and say nothing to anyone. I had to change their carpet spaces on Friday as their were some issues with a few children's behaviour that I had to address but I also felt that it might help the situation; sadly, that's not been the case. Is it first week blues and should I wait a while? Is there a good way to promote conversation through competition (or any other way)?

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Could you let them choose for w while then make more informed choices, based on having given lots of encouragement and praise to those who did as you asked. Obviously you may have to split behaviour issues. I know things are busy in yr2 but spending a while sorting the basics for your room will pay dividends for the rest of the year.

Perhaps you could try for a week the review.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

One solution, which helps the child who's 'stuck' with the non talker, but not necessarily the non talker themselves, is to have 'talking triads' instead, ie they talk in 3s. That way if one child won't say anything, the other 2 still do and get to hear as well as share ideas? Not sure how to encourage the non talkers to talk though, other than the teacher/TA sitting near them and asking them directly what they think, which usually gets them to talk, even a little bit.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Teach them how.
    Model the idea with your TA.
    Use two shy ones to model to the class, helping them by telling them what they could say.
    Pair two very shy ones together and have them discuss with you or your TA.
    Put them in threes not twos.
    Use a different teaching strategy if this one doesn't work.

5. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Just tell them you've asked them to talk so you expect them to do it?
    Then praise the ones who are sharing their ideas.
    If you asked a child to write and they sat doing nothing would you accept this? They need to know that speaking & listening is an important part of their learning and isn't optional.

6. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 New commenter

Don't know if this would work down your end - it does further up... I ask them to tell me what their partner said or if they think their partner said something really interesting. I usually phrase it by asking them to nominate their partner's idea - then they can say it or the listener can say it, depending who has done the most talking.