1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can I ask for - asny suggestions greatly received

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by julieAndrews, May 16, 2011.

1. I am starting a new short term contract which will be two mornings a week until the summer. Initially I was very pleased about this but it now would seem that they are asking alot for very little in return. Taking the two mornings a week will mean I will be unable to work the afternoons that day due to the late finish of 12.30. I am also expected to plan and provide resources for both these sessions (8 hours) and all this for a morning rate which is not brilliant. What would be acceptable to ask for or do I just take my chances and hope something better comes along? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Many thanks

2. Sorry for the spelling mistake in the subject title...... too early![​IMG]

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

This is the role of a teacher regardless of the temporary or part time nature of the contract.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm afraid I agree, providing resources & planning (+ marking) is part & parcel of the job.
    In the current situation one has to be grateful one has any work- I often work in a school only able to claim for 2-3 lessons out of the day as no longer is one asked to 'make-up' the time but to claim an hourly rate for actual hours worked & hard luck if they happen to be first & last lesson of the day! (Does mean I can plan, photocopy, mark etc though, which saves time at the end of the day.)

5. Do it and enjoy it because there is no much work as supply during this term! Good luck.

6. I must have been lucky. I worked 5 mornings a week and never had to do any planning I did however find my own resources.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I think the issue here is doing morning sessions to 12.30, which involves over 3 contact hours (the afternoon session thus being only 2 hours max) and yet getting only half the daily rate (agency?).
    I'd work out what proportion of the school day you are covering (ignore the lunch break as that is unpaid time) and ask the school/agency for pro-rata pay.
    LA supply would allow you to claim for the hours you worked or, if they pay a full daily rate based on 5 contact hours, to claim the proportion that you teach.
    It's worth asking to be given first option on any afternoon cover required, allowing you to get a full day's pay. If another teacher is off, you could be used in the afternoon and another supply teacher could be offered the morning session.

8. I don't really have a problem with the planning but I what I object to is being offered very little and even with the opportunity of getting some supply in the afternoon with this placement it would still not make up a normal full day supply rate. I work 4 hours in the morning and get £ amount and then I work for 2 hours in the afternoon and get about £7 less! How does that work? I have never really worked these 1/2 days and I have to be honest I don't like them! I know beggars can't be choosers but I don't really want to turn down full days off of the back of 2 1/2 days gauranteed! Thanks for your comments anyway.