1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can count as my NQT time?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by 2JGO, Apr 14, 2011.

1. I am just finished my first term of induction on supply and I am not meeting my standards. I need to sign my form but I have not been receiving the full amount of NQT time within the teaching day. My question is as the school I am in has a half hour tutor time in the morning and I do not have a tutor group would this cover the missed time?
    Obviously this adds up over week to more than the time I am owed.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. I am just finished my first term of induction on supply and I am not meeting my standards. I need to sign my form but I have not been receiving the full amount of NQT time within the teaching day. My question is as the school I am in has a half hour tutor time in the morning and I do not have a tutor group would this cover the missed time?
    Obviously this adds up over week to more than the time I am owed.
    Thanks for any advice.

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Your 10% NQT time should be based on the teaching day. All teachers at your school will have 10% designated PPA sessions and your teaching timetable should be a further 10% reduced.
    NQT time can be allocated weekly or fortnightly (or in other blocks of time) and can be adjusted. For instance, if you get sent on a full day course, they might remove your NQT time in another week.
    I suspect that you have no defined NQT time as you are presumably covering for ateacher who was not an NQT and the school have simply slotted you into the absent teacher's timetable.
    I would suggest adding comments to the end of your Induction form to the effect that you would be better able to reflect on your practice and meet the standards if you had an NQT reduced timetable.
    Taking over mid-school year on supply and teaching a full timetable is bound to place extra stresses on your that a properly conducted Induction period is supposed to lessen.
    How do you get mentor sessions etc if you have no NQT slots in your day?