1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can be done with our NHS?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Nov 24, 2019.

1. install

install Star commenter

What can we do to help our NHS? Is it time for change?

I would like to see a form of national service for example whereby we all help our hospitals in some way - even with the smaller roles.

Jamvic and needabreak like this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That's an interesting idea, how long for and when in your life? I volunteered working with elderly people in our local hospitals OT dept for a few years once a week, it was years ago but frankly I wouldn't be inclined to do so now, I'm older and busier and not without some considerable commitments.

Jamvic and install like this.
  3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

We need to elect politicians who believe in the NHS' founding principles, and are prepared to take necessary steps regarding training, recruitment, procurement and staff conditions of service.

Jamvic and install like this.
  4. needabreak

Even when we had that at the very start it was never enough, what make you think it will be different now?

LondonCanary and install like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Thanks.

I was thinking for about a year. Age is a tricky one I agree. Not sure how national service works in other countries. That might be a good starting point to look at.

6. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Ultimately we all (the country) need to have a grown up, unemotional conversation about it. We can't carry on as we are indefinitely but the only way I can see to maintain it as it is is higher taxes - probably significantly higher.

I think I'd be okay with that, but I'm not sure a majority of people would agree.

install and Jamvic like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Thanks. Agree.

And what are the founding principles? For example, Is it free medicine and treatment for all ?

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

No, I wouldn't. No tax money is predicated for the nhs. I would prefer to see the finance separated out as a healthcare insurance.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

In a year, I'd think it unlikely that many could be trained to do more than the most menial supervised tasks, so one would need to think about how that could be done in a meaningful way to make 'conscripts' feel a worthy part of the service. Also as those are the type of tasks already fulfilled by low-skilled, low paid workforce, one would have to question the benefits of supplanting them with an ever-changing round of people needing to be trained and supervised without actually using that induction to gain experience to improve services.

It is not a bad idea, but it would still require investment in training, decent pay and be well managed. But there again, if those issues were sorted there would be less use for conscription in the first place?

install and Jamvic like this.
  10. LondonCanary

If you visit someone in hospital, you end up doing that already.

install, Jamvic and needabreak like this.
  11. needabreak

As an aside you can train to join the medical profession while in the armed forces in the US it was the only way a friend of mine could have afforded to train as a surgeon. I guess it's the same here.

install, Jamvic and colpee like this.
  12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Perhaps a dedicated separate tax, a bit like council tax is now, but to be directly funnelled into the NHS. Yearly breakdowns of where your council tax goes are received by everyone, would this work for healthcare to see where the money is being used in any given year? The administration costs may be prohibitive though as it might need to be means tested to be fair. Don’t know if it would be plausible really.

install likes this.
  13. LondonCanary

Most developed countries manage to do this OK.

install likes this.
  14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Throwing money at the NHS is not the answer,
    It needs a total stepping back and reviewing both its services and tasks to make sure we can meet the growing demands in the areas it covers.
    More and more folks expect it to be an answer to all ills. For example, if you have a cold and no doctor, folks go to emergency services. In reality, many of those diagnoses could be sorted by a doctor on duty to sort out, or even trained staff at the triage who can advise and dispatch.
    Folks think that by going all things can be free if you are part of the system, whereas basic cold remedies could be paid for by the user and nor the system.
    The services it covers need examining, as well as the deployment of staff. Do you need a fully trained nurse handling the paperwork when going for an inpatient appointment?
    I have watched a few times in A&E area where staff have been held doing paper duties, note-making and doctors grouped chatting.Yet also waited 3 hours on a trolly till a doctor can sign you off or the medicines finally arrive from the chemist section which is often shockingly slow.
    Staffing arrangement where every nurse is required to have a degree is daft, and a tight-fisted excuse to save money by governments instead of giving then a bursary to train. Why do so many nurse work on a Supply basis, and how can that be sorted so staff as more efficiently used and employed. Often,like schools, agencies are used to avoid a load of work on back office systems such as dealing with NI and recruiting. Retentiont needs to be examined to find out why staff leave and alter the reasons so that they stay
    Doctors training, then not finding work and so they end up elsewhere. Or leave to other lands.
    Why GPs leave,retire, or fail to be replaced should be looked at. Its not throwing money as an inefficient system but changing the system so the system is fair and the worker gets a fair wage for the tasks they undertake.
    The ability to demand better prices for medicines rather than the inflated price that some districts seem to pay over those you might buy over the counter in a store.
    Machinery replacement is often a significant cost in hospitals, but my local hospital had the A&E waiting areas revamped 3 times over 2 years at one time and it cost several thousand pounds every time to do so.
    Tp heavy staff, big money for bosses,lacke of ward control with some nurse run off their feet and others failing to attend to their duties, eg some on supply tel you that not thier job any more as they are an agency. The need is to set the standard and then pay for the standard.
    Bed blocking by long-tern ill or older patients and the failure else wherein the system to provide accommodation for them in special homes, but meanwhile, they Block ward beds.
    One could go on and on of failures, yet despite this my experience has always been one of care and dedication by staff once you can get into the system.
    I still think is a great service, but it does need changing to make it even greater.

border_walker and install like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Thanks.

Isn't the point that the 'menial tasks' could be done by the many rather than the few? The nhs imho is our community helping all who need it - no matter how small the role..

16. install

install Star commenter

Thanks.

Do you think our society needs to change in the way we think? For example, do we need to look after the elderly more within our families and extended families?

17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

The Daily Mail ran an iniative on this and got lots f people doing volunteer jobs. No, I don't buy it-but I saw the headlines and asked a friend (yes, I have friends who read different newspapers, though most get their news online these days!) about it. Sounded a good idea.
    But I think the problems aren't easily solved. Several of my friends who were NHS nurses have left because they cannot stand the attitude of people they worked with-they say it's not about a lack of money available to the NHS, but the fact they had to carry too many people who were lazy, uncaring, or in senior management roles despite having little or no nursing experience.I can believe it, now that I am teaching in a system overlorded by someone who doesn't even have a PGCE.

install likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

As a patient, I'm not sure I'd welcome the cleaning, catering or portering attentions of some resentful belligerent yoof compelled to do National Service.
    There are plenty of canals that need dredging.

monicabilongame and install like this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Agree.

It seems there are lots of Senior managers in the NHS who are in reality doing admin jobs - and not really helping out in the wards.

20. install

install Star commenter

Agree - but there are many nhs jobs that do not require direct patient contact.