1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What can be done in 30 minutes?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by guna, May 26, 2019.

1. guna

guna New commenter

Hi. I have an interview lesson to teach writing to a Year 3 class in 30 minutes . I am thinking poetry or an aspect of grammar (e.g expanded noun phrases) might be simplest in the given time. I am struggling a bit with how to fit an intro , writing task and plenary into 30 minutes. Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

More than you think.

The trick is not to think in terms of resources / book whatever, but a very specific Lesson Objective to be taught, which can be taught, practised and then do a mini plenary for. That is achievable in half an hour.

When you've decided on the LO, then is the time to think of resources/ activities to deliver the learning. You may just use a paragraph or one verse of a book/ poem for example, if that was all that was needed to deliver the objective and allow the children to do some practice with tehir learning to demonstrate progress.

I always planned an hour's lesson and then decided which aspects to actually deliver during the half hour observation. It showed the observer what would be achievable within a longer time-frame and I also used to say what I would hope would be achieved in a follow-up lesson, to put the lesson into a 'bigger learning perspective'.

guna, Pomza, minnie me and 1 other person like this.
  3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Look at nc.
    For y3 you need to keep it simple. Picture then get them to describe it using senses. This leads onto expanded noun phrases.
    Haikus would be good.

guna and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. guna

guna New commenter

Thank you. Haikus had crossed my mind, but I'm not sure if 30 minutes is long enough .

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. guna

guna New commenter

Thank you for the useful advice.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

I agree that for year three you should keep it simple. Find a beautiful snippet of poetry or prose to use, something they will really enjoy reading. Have a series of activities to do so that the lesson can be carried on for the thirty.minutes and stopped whenever you feel like it. For.example, if they finish the haiku exercise they could try writing their own.

By the way, have you thought of teaching adjectives through riddles? Fun and exciting and will get them.using their language akills!

7. guna

guna New commenter

The riddles diea sounds interesting. Thank you.