1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Book Made You Love Reading

Discussion in 'Book club' started by nvwnyc, Dec 13, 2011.

1. For me it was 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton and the sequel, 'That was Then, This is Now'

2. For me it was 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton and the sequel, 'That was Then, This is Now'

3. gti

gti

I loved those books! I went off reading as teenager and SE Hinton was one of the only writers who captured my attention! I think she appealed to boys well, although I may be wrong on that one.
    And a fantastic film version of Rumblefish that followed.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I've been trying to decide which book made me love reading but to be honest I can't really remember not loving books and reading.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Little Lost Kitten!
    Mum read it to me - again and again and again and again! She put on different voices for each animal! I loved looking at the pictures and was fascinated that she said the same words every time. I was determined to learn to read - and pretty much taught myself before starting school.
    (We also had a wonderful book of animal stories - but it was in the old German script and it took me a few years before I could manage to read that....)

6. It wasn't a particular book for me, but the fact that the local library was very close to where I lived. I could go there on my own from a young age and had a constant supply of new reading material.

7. Enid Blyton did it for me - the Faraway Tree books to start with (these were my mum's favourites as well - and I inhereted her copies), followed by the Famous Five and Mallory Towers.
    So lovely to see my own daughter working her way through her gran's copies now!

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

The Little Grey Rabbit Stories by Alison Uttely. My parents used to take turns to read them to me each night and couldn't wait till I was able to read them for myself. I finally managed to get all the way through "The Wise Owl's Tale" when I was 4, and that was it, I was hooked on reading.

9. Can't put my finger on one in particular. Had a love of reading as a kid (Mum's doing) and then read nothing whilst at unit. Maybe because you were forced to read, taking the pleasure out of it. Then started reading again as a NQT as a way of unwinding. Never been without a stack of books by the bed since (much to wife's annoyance!)
    In an attempt to answer the thread, it was probably Adrian Mole, Ben Elton or a crime thriller.

10. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

The Magic Faraway Tree, Malory Towers and the Famous Five, followed by Rebecca's World by Terry Nation. Oh I wish I was back there sat on my mam's knee x

11. impis

impis New commenter

Forever Amber.

A big, very soppy historical adventure / romance.

Ahhhh, twas all i dreamed of, as a teenager!

12. I think it was Gobbelino the Witch's Cat. Then later, aged about eight, I got heavily into Willard Price.

13. I liked 'Gobbelino the Witch's Cat' too!
    The books that made me loved reading:
    Tove Jansson's 'Moomintroll' series, Rumer Godden's 'The Dolls' House' and 'Little Tulsa' by
    Ester Ringner Lundgren

14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I used to love fairy stories as little girl -there was a serious of fariy stroy books with different colours in the title -orange, red purple are ones I remember. I havent thought of them for years-until I read this thread. And of course enid Blyton - loved them all.

15. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

just looked them up on google
    Andrew Lang's Fairy Books — also known as Andrew Lang's "Coloured" Fairy Books or Andrew Lang's Fairy Books of Many Colors — are a series of twelve collections of fairy tales, published between 1889 and 1910.
    Does any one else remember them?
    I also loved the Billy Bunter stories -had the whole set and got rid when I was older. Wish I hadnt!

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've enjoyed reading for as long as I remember, having had lots of books passed down from my parents, being a particular fan of Just William books, Billy Bunter, Jennings and Blyton's Adventure series. Written well before my time, but still books I loved. I also remember reading the less scary Stephen King books at around 9 or 10 years old, as well as Alistair MacLean novels, those being ones my parents would have been reading at the time.
    But - one book I remember choosing for myself and devouring again and again was this:

[​IMG]

The BBC adaptation was good but the trilogy was fantastic. I do often wonder if it's still a good read and hasn't dated at all.

17. Gotta be the Famous Five by Enid Blyton. I remember trawling around old book shops searching for the whole lot. Amazing adventures, great memories of those books.

18. Like so many I was raised on Enid Blyton, Secret Seven and St Clare's being my favourites. But the book I have never forgotten and was the first author I actively sought out 'their next book' was Gwen Grant. Private - Keep Out being the first followed by Knock and Wait. Of the same ilk, The Family From One End Street. I am a northerner from working class origins, maybe they spoke to me despite being set in my parents' generation? Just GREAT books.