1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what book is good for teaching german A1 A2

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by dewey17, May 22, 2017.

1. dewey17

dewey17 New commenter

WHat is a good book to teach German with at beginner level?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A beginner at A1 level? Unless I've misunderstood?
    No book - until they've at least reached GCSE standard and even then, most students find the 'leap up' a challenge when they start.

Dodros likes this.
  3. dewey17

dewey17 New commenter

That is silly that there is no book to teach ks3 german. Everyone has to study german so there should be appropriate books for them. How do you teach them then with no book?

4. Lara mfl 05

Your title says
    what book is good for teaching German A1 A2?
    But A1 /A2 is not KS3 but KS5

I notice you are not in the UK (edits are a give-away ;)) so you may not be aware of the system.
    Hence my query
    Beginner level is KS3 Years 7-9 pre-GCSE, let alone A level.

5. Dodros

Dodros Established commenter

No, not silly, and not everybody has to study German, which is losing out to Spanish here in England at the moment as a second foreign language. And when I had to teach beginners' German to Year 8s with SEN, I wrote my own materials because the coursebook used by the rest of the year did not meet the needs of my class of students with learning difficulties. Those materials are still on my website at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw7z_4bLjOOEZzE3R0VmQlhxMzQ.

When you use the terms "A1" and "A2", are you referring to the The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages levels as described on the Goethe Institut site at https://www.goethe.de/ins/gb/en/spr/kon/stu.html, or do you mean "A2" in its General Certificate of Education sense of "Advanced level", which is the way Lara and I read it when you posted your original message? The CEFRL terminology isn't in widespread use here in British schools, where GCSEs and GCEs are the order of the day. Anyway, your follow-up message suggests you mean the Common European Framework levels, namely:

A1

Can understand and use familiar, everyday expressions and very simple sentences, which relate to the satisfying of concrete needs. Can introduce him/herself and others as well as ask others about themselves – e.g. where they live, who they know and what they own – and can respond to questions of this nature. Can communicate in a simple manner if the person they are speaking to speaks slowly and clearly and is willing to help.

A2
    Can understand sentences and commonly used expressions associated with topics directly related to his/her direct circumstances (e.g. personal information or information about his/her family, shopping, work, immediate surroundings). Can make him/herself understood in simple, routine situations dealing with a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and common topics. Can describe his/her background and education, immediate surroundings and other things associated with immediate needs in a simple way.

As a retired teacher of German, I'm somewhat out of touch now with what the best German coursebooks are for those contemplating reaching the proficiencies above. If Lara is right about you teaching abroad, German course books for UK learners may be culturally and linguistically inappropriate. You may, for example, want to use a German textbook entirely in the target language. Can you elaborate on the age, ability and background of your prospective learners?

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Oh never considered alternative A1/A2 or even knew about Goethe Institut criteria @Dodros :oops: and very valid point about culturally relevant textbooks. According to their profile the OP is in Taiwan.

Dodros likes this.