1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What book/ file you use for your learning journeys?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by steevie, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I couldn't see that this had been posted before but apologies if it has! I just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to share what book or file they use for their learning journeys. I've always used a 'scrapbook' but have debated using more of a file as I feel like I have used an incredible amount of prit stick and time stickig things in.
    I'm not grumbling at all- I enjoy doing them and think they should be done to the best possible standard that I can! I just wondered what other people use and if they found a scrapbook more managable and solid or if people were successfully using some sort of file?
    Steevie

2. I have used scrap books in the past, they are lovely but get very heavy if you have to move them out of your room to do, yes a pritt stick a week is my average!
    However, I have recently moved to files, not sure how robust they will be long term but it does mean you don't have to carry it all around, just a few blank sheets, may end up being more costly, will have to wait and see?

3. Hiya,
    I use light weight files with plastic poly pockets already in them, I think they are called 'display files', however this does not solve the endless sticking in! I will review it at the end of the year, but one of this positives (I think) is that they can only hold so much information so I am careful as to what I put in. They are also easy to share with the kids regularly as the poly pockets protect the pages.
    L
    x

4. Thanks gailmg and laurapie. I think I'm going to make the leap to a file- eek! Now to choose which one!!!
    Many thanks for your replies [​IMG]
    Steevie

5. Hi
    I use a proper A4 hard file and put poly-pockets in. In each poly-pocket I have a sheet relating to each of the different areas (each A4 sheet has a grid at the top with the different points broken down, which really helps). I inherited this system off the previous teacher and it does seem to work.
    We don't use post it notes, but white stickers and then i just stick the obs onto the sheet of paper and slide any photo's or other samples of evidence in. Don't use any pritt stick at all!
    I think any system has its pros and cons.
    Louise

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we use scrapbooks and have found them loads easier than the files we used to have. they look nicer, too, i think.

7. NettyMc

NettyMc New commenter

I have used files in the past and they worked well - organised in time order rather than areas of learning. However, I found them heavy and cumbersome to transport around, so this year I have used scrapbooks. They are working well but I must find a better system as I am spending far longer sticking in photos and obs than I am planning and assessing - this is not good. They provide good evidence of learning and parental involvement but I spend about 8-10 hours each week maintaining 28 of them. This is not a good use of my time and I sometimes feel like a Pritt Stick operative rather than a teacher![​IMG]

8. I I prefer to use scrap books as I can't be bothered to mess around with pulling sheets in and out of pockets in a file. I think of learning journey methods in the same way as teaching different year groups; each has its good and bad points and in the end you just find the one that works for you! [​IMG]

9. Don't have a copy at home (left LJ's at school) so remind me on next week and will scan and email you a copy. PLEASE remind me as I will forget lol
    Lou

10. Hi,
    We use plain school work books and find them very light. Very manageable for the children when they are using them to reflect on their own learning. Have tried all sorts of ways in the past and this is by far the best option for us.

11. Hi Louise, just agentle reminder about those LJ's lease.
    Many thanks,

Wendy