1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What book can I read to a year 2 class for 10 minutes at interview??

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by haffy1984, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I have an interview next week for a maternity cover. I need to read a story for 10 minutes to a year 2 class and I need a really good book that will be short enough but exciting for the class.

Having already had 5 interviews I really want to nail this one....

Please help!!

Thanks

2. I would go into a bookshop and see what NEW books are out. Any really good existing ones that we recommend, and there are many, they may already have heard and that will diminish your lesson unless you can put your own slant on it immediately.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Excellent idea drom roseangel there.
    Also if <u>we</u> recommend it, but it doesn't grab <u>you</u>, you're unlikely to teach it well. The choice needs to be yours because You think it's a fab story. Then you'll enjoy reading it and so will the children, you'll relax more and be able to better deliver your lesson objectives. You <u>have</u> got a lesson objective haven't you?
    Best of luck with it!
    Look on the

Interviews reminders thread and see if we can get you some good wishes. tey're generally a very supportive bunch on here.

4. Lara mfl 05

[​IMG] Missed the edit time!
    forgot to say when you click on the link you'll need to look at the last post ( or couple of posts if someone else posts after me).

5. Thanks for your advice... I always struggle with new ideas for a short story in an interview..
    I usually do have a lesson objective but when it is only meant to be 10 minutes what sort of objective can I use?

Any suggestions would be fantastic.

I have used a couple of stories in the past which have gone down very well...

The Snail and the Whale
    The Naughty Bus.

Have you read those before?

6. Lara mfl 05

listen to talk by an adult, remember some specific points
    and identify what they have learned"

Which might be spotting a certain word with a particular phonic sound but you really need to come up with your own objective.

7. As a experienced Year 2 teacher this term we are looking at Traditional Stories for the Literacy unit! Maybe a traditional tale with a twist where the characters change from a goodies to baddies, ' the true story of the Three little pigs' always is a good choice!
    Hope that helps x

8. As a experienced Year 2 teacher this term we are looking at Traditional Stories for the Literacy unit! Maybe a traditional tale with a twist where the characters change from a goodies to baddies, ' the true story of the Three little pigs' always is a good choice!
    Hope that helps x