1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Became of Juice Extractors?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My sweetheart bought several of them when they were all the rage. To be frank, I don't know what prompted the first purchase, but the threads about fat shaming have reminded me that when she was passionate (and remarkably successful) about losing weight, she bought another and juiced all the time.

I expect she read somewhere that drinking juiced vegetables would help her lose weight, so stopped drinking normal tea and coffee and took to drinking anything it was possible to juice.

Nettles often featured in her diet, either having been juiced, or infused in the Bodum coffee maker with whatever else she found in the garden. I think it was probably the only time in the thirty odd years we've been together, I didn't have to worry about the b.astard nettles taking the garden over.

I've never been much of a gardener. I never had the time to devote to doing more than preventing the garden shrinking as the weeds took over. I was delighted when she took to regarding the most proliffic weed as a crop and forbid me to touch it while she was on her diet.

But I digress...

Juice extractors came up recently in a cookery programme. Not so much the extractors, but a chef reckoned the best way to cook carrots is in carrot juice, since he claimed that boiling them in water, leeches all the flavour out of them, but if you cook them in carrot juice, it intensifies the flavour.

I have no idea what happened to any of the juice extractors we had. I suspect we didn't have enough worktop space to keep the last one on after the next fad gadget arrived and had ran out of cupboard space to store it in. Or it was disposed of in one of our moves. I couldn't verify whether this chef was telling me something that might be obvious, or whether it was b.ollox. I did however have half a carton of orange juice to cook carrots in and can confirm they tasted all right. Marginally better than carrots boiled in water.

When we visit the supermarket, my sweetheart disappears and can never be found, so I tend to look around to see what's new and casually wandered down the electrical appliances aisle to see what's new as far as juice extractors go. There wasn't a single one. You couldn't move for the damn things when they were in fashion. Now it's all steam cleaners and irons with steam tanks.

I see that juice extractors are still available online if anyone is deperate to own one. I am wondering just how many must have gadgets we've all bought, thinking they'd change our lives but discarded when they didn't.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Juicing's still A Thing.

3. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I have two of the simple manual ones, one at home and one at school

agathamorse likes this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I bought one in Tescos a few months ago. Not a super duper electric one that tells you the time and sings "Yankee Doodle Dandy" at the same time but an old school one where you press half an orange (although Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit ) onto a ribbed cone type type to extrude some liquid (Yes that it was meant to sound rude ;)).

Sometimes old school is best.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have to confess that freshly juiced apples have taste exactly the same taste as when you eat apples, but apple juice from the shop doesn't taste anything like the same.

agathamorse, Stiltskin and needabreak like this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Because it's processed to some degree. Different to freshly squeezed/drained, eh?

LondonCanary and needabreak like this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

In the cupboard getting used on hot days as usual especially if there are fruits and veggies on offer in the shop or from the garden/next doors gardens. I love cucumber with carrot, apple and a bit of green pepper in yummy, I use the carrot residue in carrot cake sometimes... double yum.

8. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

In my school the secretary and janitor used to use their juicers in the staff kitchen next door to a classroom. One day the head was horrified to hear what she thought was loud drilling coming from the kitchen. Soon after the juicers disappeared. :(

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Their sales might fall off a cliff now it's been claimed that just one glass of fresh fruit juice "can dramatically increase the risk of cancer" (headline in Daily Mail)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ease-risk-cancer-12-major-study-suggests.html

Although those who get as far as the NHS website page on the same story will be less worried as the NHS take the Daily Mail to task for an alarmist headline and being statistically illiterate and unable to tell the difference between 'relative risk' and 'absolute risk'.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/sugary-drinks-linked-cancer/

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think the fresh fruit juice cancer thing is a load of bull. And kind of irresponsible.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

But there is some evidence that fruit juice can increase the risk of tooth decay because of its acidic pH.

But that is not a reason to stop drinking it . Simple measures like rinsing your mouth with water or not cleaning your teeth immediately after drinking fruit juice allows you to continue enjoying juice and its obvious health benefits.

Although if you are like me, you have a glass of juice at breakfast and then clean teeth before heading for work. But life is too short to worry about things like that.

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Beer is a type of juice. (Malted Barley juice)

agathamorse, silkywave and les25paul like this.
  13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

And cider :D

agathamorse likes this.
  14. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Because they are a bugg*r to clean and took up half the kitchen work surface. Besides they remove most of the soluble fibre.

nizebaby, catbefriender and bonxie like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Beer and Cider come ready juiced!

agathamorse likes this.
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed although to be fair we have been told that it's better to eat the fruit not drink the juice as the fibre keeps us healthy and it lowers the sugar hit of say apples with a lower GI, that said cucumber juice is said to lower blood pressure but then carrots are meant to be good for your eyes... :rolleyes: perhaps its once again a little of what you fancy? The dietitian once told me that you can drink several times an apples calorific value but still feel hungry so eatingban aplle is better... How can fat people eat healthy and still be overweight?

Tjey also said take supplements rather than eating for vitamims etc..

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I burnt out the motor of mine juicing all the apples in the garden to make cider.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I had a juicer, but in the end I realised it was taking the pith.

I bought one of those apple press thingies last year but have no apples this year due to being taught how to winter prune apple trees properly. Maybe next year.

agathamorse, needabreak and les25paul like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They were all confiscated by our political masters who then adapted them into pi$$ extractors and they've been taking it ever since.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I use my teeth to juice. Better for the planet.

agathamorse and needabreak like this.