1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What attracts you to a school/role?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TeachinHull2011, Mar 24, 2011.

1. It'd be great to hear people's thoughts on what they look for when considering their next career move. What differentiates one opportunity from another and what would catch your eye?

With budgets being ever-tighter it's important that schools think about the 'whole offer' to potential applicants. So what would appeal to you?

Thanks in advance...

2. Speaking as a student teacher seeking a first appointment I am drawn to job adverts that mention how the school develops their staff and provides CPD opportunities. I also like mentions of there being some kind of "team ethic" in the department, as I wouldn't like to end up in a department where nobody speaks to each other and there's a high staff turnover.

3. Thanks MBG

Completely agree on the CPD. A massive attraction, particularly at the stage you're at in your career. Interesting point on the "team ethic" too. An easy value to get across in a job advert and helps to express the school's culture to potential candidates...

4. I apply for everything, but what gets me excited is a challenge. I did not do teacher training to help priveleged, middle class kids get even further in life and I have no interest in working in chocolate box-schools with the dream catchment area and amazing resources and a committed parent community... [​IMG]
    I like the rough schools! The ones where the catchment area is deprived, the parents can be scary and the kids lacking, not only in basic skills for their age, but also in motivation to apply themselves to school. It's all very well when Oliver and Charlotte's mum and dad did well out of education - these kids are inherantly motivated because they know it will do them favours, too. But Tyler-Jay and Ellie-Mae's parents aren't going to be that supportive and that's where it's interesting!!! [​IMG]

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Whereas I look, generally, for the exact opposite to Lilybett!

I'm also looking for posts that set out clearly what the job actually is. DH is all very well, but what are the areas of responsibility? KS leader is all very well, but which one? AH is all very well, but tell me if there is a DH as well or not. And so on.