1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your top tips for an NQT in MFL?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Jasmine1, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Hi El

Could you please send me some info on the markbook.

Thank you

c-andy at hotmail.co.uk

2. bumping this old thread to see if anyone else has sage advice to offer those of us about to start our nqt positions

3. Smelly and others please

Can I have the info about markbook please? I am intending to start on computers as well

Many thanks

Sonia

4. please people!

5. Sorry - I have been a bit lax today
    My mark book is colourcoded -
    Names in black ink.
    Written work / exercises - marks writtn in in black
    Tests (vocab / end of unit / exams etc) are in red ink
    Levels / UMS - in blue
    If homework is late, a little blue 'L' in the corner of box where mark goes
    On last page of each class (in black) prior levels of attainment, targets etc.
    In pencil at end - SEN info

Hope this helps
    El

6. Thanks a lot Smelly, Yes it does help, can I be a bit cheeky and have a copy by email?

Thanks

Sonia

7. Smelly it sounds fab and I've been wanting to get away from a paper book - could you possibly mail me too?
    Many thanks! Sam[​IMG] samw518@hotmail.co.uk

8. smicer07

smicer07 New commenter

9. I will do but I will have to learn how to use my new scanner - my mark book is colourcoded but on paper.
    I will do it later when I have done the school-shoes shopping with the kids!

10. To keep on top of marking, use class time when they are doing writing tasks.
    If they are all sitting down quietly get them to come up one by one to show you their work and mark the exercise.Doesn't sound like much but then when you have to books in you can just skip that bit and plough through the rest. Take marking home that is done on paper- vocab tests, bits of coursework, I also get years 10 and 11 to do oral questions on paper and make up a folder for speaking so that I don't get a lot of sets of books to take home. Also if you have big sets- we have 30 in KS3- consider taking in a half set at a time. Its not so bad doing 15 one week and then the other half the next. Consider printing off a grid for the back of their books for them to record scores of listening and reading tasks marked in class. Your department may have one already.
    The best tip I have is to keep doing bits of marking whenever you can. The odd 20 minutes here and there does add up and if you do get bogged down posters/ slide shows are very good to set and they do not have to be easy either. ie: devise a poster /slide show on how to form the perfect tense/ explain prepositions with the dative and accusative.
    Good luck!

11. Good thread for NQTs

12. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Yes, some great advice to an NQT from those who should know.
    However, at the risk of triggering an almighty argument I have to say SHAME ON YOU Smelly El for perpetuating the use of attainment targets, UNLESS you are referring to the one and only time that they should be allocated to a student, i.e. at the end of Key Stage 3.
    If you are suggesting that the ridiculous 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c etc be used at various times during KS3, then I strongly urge Jasmine1 to ignore this, and fight against any other suggestion from anyone else that National Curriculum Levels be applied at any other times during the course of years 7, 8 and 9. Particularly nonsensical is the notion that every piece of work should be ascribed a NC Level, and that is sometimes asked for by shallow-thinking HODs or SMTs, unfortunately, who cannot see that this is a complete misuse of NC Levels: they were never intended for such a purpose.
    Even in their intended use, ie to describe the level of attainment by a student at the end of KS3, they are next to worthless; they give no indication of the amount of TL a kid had assimilated, nor how well they can use it. A kid could satisfy the criteria for a criteria for, say, a Level 3 in Speaking while working within a vocabulary of 50 words, probably less. The kid who satisfies those criteria after ammassing a vocabulary of 250 words gets no extra acknowledgement; they are a poor way of assessing kids at the end of KS3 (their actual purpose), so as a measure of progression they are particularly useless. Teachers who are bullied into using them do the sensible thing and just make them up to avoid wasting time.
    By the way, the system of NC Levels using 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c, 3a, 3b, 3c - the so-called 'sub-levels' - do not exist, and have never been prescribed for use by any statutory body: they are a figment of the imagination of people who want to create a facade of ongoing formative assessment. Furthermore, any National Curriculum Level ascribed to a student at the end of KS3 has no 'currency value' whatsoever: if they give up the study of a foreign language the Level has no significance at all, and if they do continue with a language to GCSE then the GCSE grade achieved is what matters; no one in the universe will ever be interested in what NC Level a kid got at the end of their KS3.
    Again, sorry if I have misunderstood you, SmellyEl, but the use of sub-levels has to be resisted in order to save valuable time that can be devoted to more worthwhile pursuits.