1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your top tips for an NQT in MFL?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Jasmine1, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Hello,

I have completed my PGCE and have a job lined up for September. I would be really interested in your top tips for someone just starting out. Tips on organisation, classroom dispalays, keeping on top of marking, classroom management, lesson planning would be greatly received!

I look forward to reading from you!

Thanks,
    Jasmine

2. Hello,

I have completed my PGCE and have a job lined up for September. I would be really interested in your top tips for someone just starting out. Tips on organisation, classroom dispalays, keeping on top of marking, classroom management, lesson planning would be greatly received!

I look forward to reading from you!

Thanks,
    Jasmine

3. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Have you done a forum search ? There are quite a few topics, recent and not so recent, on these topics.

4. salsera

salsera New commenter

5. My top tip: Go round to various branches of Carpet World and get as many samples and off-cuts as you can, then make the kids sit on them at the front of the class.

Works every time!

6. Thanks!

Keep them a flowing!

7. For classroom displays, depending on how many display boards you have in your classroom, I suggest having one 'fixed' display which you make yourself (or get an art technician to make if you have them) about something language or culture related, and change it every term or half term. In the past we've done displays on the World Cup, the Language of Science, trips etc etc

Then use the other boards to display students' work. When you display their work, try to put some info up to contextualise it for other kids that use your classroom eg "8B1 worked on connectives....A connective is..." bla bla bla! (bad example but you get the picture!)
    I've found that even the older ones like having their work up on the walls!

8. HI

My first piece of advice is: if in doubt ASK. Teachers are all busy and your colleagues may not notice if you are finding things hard.

2. Organisation. Even after 11 yrs of teaching I still find that planning when I am going to take in each classes ex bks each week helps. Also, whereas you know you will have to work hard, make sure you sit down with colleagues for lunch (even if its only for 10 mins)

3. Lesson planning. Try to have an outline plan for each half term for each class. You may not stick to it, but it will help you to keep the pace up in your lessons. Also, make sure you are not running around in the morning trying to pan that day's lessons!

4. Use all freetime effectively - marking etc.

5. Keep your mark book organised - I feel totally in control if my mark book is right - with previos levels of attainment, targets, test results, levels of achievement in tests, & anything else your HOD asks of you.

Good luck

El

9. I definitely second what SmellyEl says about asking for help if you need it! There is never any sense in struggling and suffering in silence if you encounter a problem. Asking for help, and perhaps indicating that you've considered some possible strategies yourself too, is not likely to be viewed as a sign of weakness, instead a sign that you are aware of your practice, and are keen to learn how to improve.

10. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Ignore Londo's suggestion! He's having fun over the carpet square idea of another poster- an idea that has been lampooned roundly by many other posters.

11. I think SmellyEl has hit the nail on the head in point 1 - ASK!!!!!!!

Colleagues may well be wary of suggesting different ways of doing things as well-meant help can often (especially when we are all tired, stressed and pushed for time) come over as telling you what to do.

You have to discover your own style - if you try to be someone else it just won't work. The kids will see straight through you if you aren't confident and they will mess you about.

Remember what the T in NQT stands for? You are one - don't let your classes undermine that: start as you mean to go on, be consistent in your approach and your responses to behaviour/attitude that you don't like and you will be fine. You would not have passed your PGCE if you couldn't hack it!

Good luck

Asp

12. I think another piece of advice is to have a sense of reality. When I qualified 10 years ago, I thought I could change the world and enthuse my pupils. I soon realised that not all of them shared my expectations.
    Also, make sure you make time for yourself. The NQT year can be very hectic, so please make sure you have some time to chill.
    Good luck!

13. Hey there I have just finished my NQT year in French and it is very hectic and can be stressful but as long as you are organised and as other people say keep your mark book up to date for parents evenings and reports etc life is already easier. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask ive had a difficult year with other members of the department been off sick and im doing acting Hod nect year aaah! Just remember to ask!

14. some really useful tips. Merci!

What's the best way to organise a markbook?

15. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

re markbook - in my experience everyone has their own system which works best for them. You'll probably already have your own system which works for you but could well be confusing for someone else. There's no right and wrong way as long as you can tell someone the information they need to know when they need to know it.

16. Don't try and re-invent the wheel - If your schemes of work are a bit dodgy and resources are not well organized in the department - ask colleagues if they have any resources for... As HOD, I usually pair up new staff (regardless of experience) with existing staff who have similar classes and should be able to share resources/ideas etc.

For organization of mark book, I have a page for homework and a page for classwork/other assesments. The homework one is important to monitor and you should use codes such as red circle for not given in or a small L in the corner for 'late'. Always write the date the h/w was set/given in to feedback to others if needed. Ask your HOD for suggestions as there may be a department policy.

17. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Evening saley - how are you doing ?

18. re: the markbook...

I'm not teaching in England, but do people use computer markbooks now? If not, since you're computer literate, maybe you'd like to consider a computer markbook?

You could always do printouts, if you needed to submit hard copies to the powers-that-be. If you do weighted grading, you can separate the scores students have achieved in various areas (e.g. tests, oral assessments, etc.) as well as arrive at a final overall mark. You can easily do individual printouts for case conferences and so on, too.

When I first used a computer markbook, I was overwhelmed, but nowadays I love them. I only wish I'd had it in the days when I had to add up all the exam scores by hand (sans calculator, even!) and put them on a list in rank order for the head. I always left someone out and had to start all over again.

Anyway, one system teachers at my school used is Gradekeeper. We had a site licence, paid for by the school, but you can buy an individual licence is $20 (about ten pounds). You'd probably be able to find shareware ones out there, too. It might help to try the search term "gradebook" as that's what Americans call them.

If you do use the computer, remember to keep current copies of your markbook in a miminum or two different places, in case of crash or other disaster. I like to do printouts when I update, too, as I can't really bring myself to wean myself off paper completely.

19. Jasmine

I am asking all my staff to have the following information in their mark books (this info goes in the last few columns you allocate to each class)

For KS3:
    pupil attainment levels for the end of Y7 & 8
    The FFT target level for this yr - leave blank until we are given them
    attainment levels for each of the 4 skills from 2006/07 (to see where better progress has been made)

For Y10:
    attainment level for Y9
    FFT target for Y11
    A column ready for Y10 exam grade
    Space already marked out for Y10 exam - 10 columns (marks & points for each skill, total points, grade)

For Y11:
    attainment level at the end of Y9
    Y10 exam result
    target for Y11
    4 columns available for levels in Mock exam
    Space for mock exam results - 10 colums
    4 columns available for levels for final exam

As I also have a 'folded over' bit at the end of the 1st page I use for each class, I use this space to write out the SEN problems pupils have - I then have the info to hand if needed.

When I am setting homework, I put a little blue L in the mark box if someone has handed it in late

For end of unit tests I put the level for each skill (in blue) in the mark box as this makes life a lot easier when you are asked about how your pupils are progressing.

Finally, I put test results in red & written work in black

(My mark book has been seen by our senior management link and he said how easy it was to understand

If you want any more info post your email

Good luck