1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your thoughts on...

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Sleeplessinsurrey, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Sleeplessinsurrey

Sleeplessinsurrey New commenter

Greeting pupils individually whilst taking the register .

2. Sleeplessinsurrey

Just clarifying what I mean ;
    Eg
    Morning or Afternoon , then the name of the child as i go through the register , Saying an extra word in addition to their name is not at all time consuming . I was just wondering if it's unusual for me to do this ? I have only just started teaching my own classes .

3. Inspirit

Inspirit Occasional commenter

Have always done this. Children reply with 'morning / afternoon Mr/Ms ----'. Lovely, simple way of making a connection, as we share a smile at the same time (and sometimes a simple comment if relevant, e.g. 'Good to have you back' after an absence). It's little things like this that really make the difference :)

4. Sleeplessinsurrey

Thank you so much for your response !
    I will continue to use this method when taking my register !

Pomz, pepper5 and Inspirit like this.
  5. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

I love to do this! It's a great way to settle the class, get quiet students to speak out, show you care etc..

I often have a question to think about on the board as students arrive which requires a yes/no or very simple answer. Students then give this as their register response. Once I started doing this, they always (years 7 up to 11) asked for a "register question" or even suggested their own.

I also sometimes get them to respond in different languages just to mix it up and ensure they're paying attention. It can also help to model manners with your suggestion of 'good morning'.

You don't have to go this far but this is worth a watch!

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Always say 'good morning' to each pupil when I do the register (and they say it back, mostly!) To me, it's just good manners...

Need to work on the personalised handshakes though...