1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your responses to the recommendations for schools of the 2011 Riots Report?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Alexandra-MacKenzie, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Riots Community and Victims official Govt Panel Report with findings and recommendations for schools released - Exec summary link attached. http://riotspanel.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Riots-Panel-Executive-Summary-and-Recommendations.pdf

What are your responses as teachers and leaders in the system to the findings and recommendations given they identify schools as key for prevention and recommend changes in school policies programs and practice?

What is happening now and what needs to change?

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Well they do actually say that "Parents are best placed to instil positive attitudes and behaviour in children." and it is only when parents are unable to do so that schools should step in. I agree that unquestionably it is the role of the parent to teach what they call "strength of character" and I don't really understand how I will be able to do this in my classroom.
    I also found it interesting that they say "Where it is in the best interests of the child to do so, we recommend that absent fathers should be contacted by statutory social services and schools about their children as a matter of course."
    I have found that on the occasions where I couldn't contact the mother of a badly behaved child, I instead telephoned the second contact - the father, who although not absent from their child's life altogether, certainly was not aware of the day-to-day misbehaviour of their child. On all those occasions there was a marked improvement in behaviour. They seemed to need the input and male role model.
    The report also states "We propose that there should be a new requirement for schools to develop and publish their policies on building character"
    Well that should be a nice bit of extra paperwork for someone.
    "We also recommend that Ofsted undertake a thematic review of character building in schools"
    I wonder how they are going to do this?
    "the Panel recommends primary and secondary schools should undertake regular assessments of pupils’ strength of character."
    How on earth do you assess strength of character? Obviously there will be another box to fill in on lesson plans, another detail to record in mark books, and more pressure put on the classroom teacher to do what parents should do.
    I try my best to teach right from wrong as events occur in my classroom but would not presume to be able to test anyone's strength of character - and any teacher worth their salt knows that no matter what you do in the classroom, if this is not reinforced in the home, it is not going to work.

4. kittylion

Well I obviously killed this thread off lol

5. kittylion

I went to some trouble to respond to this, so it is disappointing (and bad manners?) to have no reply or acknowledgement from the OP.