1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your 'must have' books / resources for Reception?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jaybee1, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT (started in September) battling through the last few weeks of my second term. It has not been easy. I just wondered if anyone could share with me some of your 'must have' books or resources or just pointers to help me with my planning? I am finding it really hard going to think up new and exciting things all the time and when I do, I realise I've saddled myself with another 4 or 5 hours of trawling the internet, going shopping, buying online or making and laminating resources. I feel I am missing a trick!
    Any suggestions welcome!
    Thanks. JB

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Keep the laminating to a minimum.

Reember that sometimes the best storytellling sessions involve just you and the story, without book or props or anything...

3. Thanks. It's the planning for Reception that is really becoming a nightmare - taking me hours to plan something that takes half and hour to deliver. Any other advice?!

4. Maybe audit the resources you have in your classroom and tailor your lessons to what you have available. This might mean making some compromises, but that's better than burning out from over work! Meanwhile start compiling a wish list of resources that you wish you did have so that when you are asked by someone holding purse strings you have your ideas ready. Get hold of some catalogues for added inspiration.