1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your 'must-do's for OFSTED?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Jul 9, 2011.

1. When you get the call, what do you start to do? What do you make sure your lessons involve? What do you swot up on?
    Do you pre-prepare lessons ideas so that you have some idea what you are going to teach or do you stick to your current planning?
    Do you make your lessons all singing and dancing or teach as you normally would?

2. 1. Plan good lessons - the children must make progress in all lessons!!!!
    2. Make sure marking and assessmnets are all up to date, including paper work
    3. Displays - engaging, current and purposeful
    4. Who are the groups in school making less progress? Do you know why? What is being done to solve this?
    5. Subject Coord role - what is going well? What needs improving? How do you plan to do this? When do you plan to start and timescales? What will it look like next year? What is your focus at the moment and why?
    6. RELAX and show 'em what you are made of! [​IMG]

3. Much as Daisy said really! I do re-plan lessons but I won't change what's on the mtp unless I really don't think it lends itself well to a practical session (I'm y1|). I don't plan all singing all dancing, I plan as I'd normally teach with just a bit extra. I make sure I use iwb (but I usually do anyway) and something practical. I ensure chn are all responding e.g. use of whiteboards for lit/num or number fans for responses rather than sitting there 'listening') which is something I do anyway. Main thing for me is for the plan to obviously show progression, differentiation (especially challenge for the more able as they're hot on this at the moment) and what the children are actually learning, so for this reason I usually plan for a fairly new topic in maths and Lit, something we've just begun, so that it's new learning. I dont' worry if they won't get it, or if they'll get it too much as that's a brilliant opportunity to show how you may adapt your teaching. I don't put provisions for this on the plan, but I do plan it out in notes for myself so that if one of those eventualities happen I know what to do and am ready for it.
    I don't swot up on anything except my subject! I had to have an interview with the lead inspector just recently about drive and improvement in Maths so I had to know all the data (or know where to find it in my file I guess) target groups, what we do with chn who aren't making progress, who they were, why they weren't progressing, interventions, plans for future of subject, evidence of monitoring, how my subject fitted in with sdp etc.
    I made sure books were totally 100percent up to date with lots of good marking according to school policy, all targets were up to date including those on wall of classroom, monitoring file up to date, planning file up to date with evaluated plans, classroom environment the best it could be (we did new lables but it's the end of the year so we'd already done them for next year we just stuck them on!).

:)

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In terms of teaching and learning, I just do as usual. I write individual lesson plans for the days the inspectors are in, but the actual lessons taught are as usual.

It is all the nonsense paperwork that I spend time sorting out. All the pointless things that no-one at school would ever ask for, but Ofsted might.

Oh and any wall displays that look a little tatty get neatened up.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

They like risk assessments. In 25+ years I have never lost or maimed a child on a walk to our school eco-garden but they particularly mentioned in my FS co-ordinator meeting that I had done a risk assessment (like I always do [​IMG]).

6. Arrange a trip - so you are out!
    or
    throw a sickie!

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Run away!